Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1396 - HOO and H(G)O Versions

AndyUK

I've fretted over the prospect of processing the OIII into this image, as when it came in, I was pretty surprised how noisy it appeared to be (compared to the Ha).  Blaming possible transparency issues, I filed it away, deciding to stick with the Ha image, and moved on to another DSO...  but when I got to taking the OIII on that, that too seemed much weaker than I expected as well.  So, after a little deliberation, some tips / suggestions from Chris (@ChrisLX200) and Sara (@swag72), and opening a bottle of wine, I thought I'd have a go...

Unfortunately, a couple of the sessions were taken with the camera fairly badly rotated (c. 15 degrees!), so I've had to crop into this (thus losing a bit off the bottom and also the right hand side :(), but as these are the first colour images I've processed for over 3 years ago, I'm not going to lose sleep about it!  (However, I have added checking camera rotation to my ever-growing checklist :))

The biggest issue (as expected!) was in processing the OIII, but that was where Straton came in REALLY handy - I know the same can be achieved using dust and scratches in photoshop, but it's FAR simpler (for someone as lazy as me!).  If anyone's interested, I first partially processed both Ha and OIII data (using levels and curves) and then de-stared them with Straton prior to giving them a hefty stretch (to bring out the signal further) and then giving them a good dose of gaussian blur.  I then processed another version of the Ha data as a mono version and used that as a luminence layer on top which then brought back the detail... (and then it was hours of fiddling to produce what you see here - The first is a HOO mapping and the second is H(G)O, with the G created using Astronomy tools (create G from R&B channels :)).

Again, any critical comments will be very gratefully received - these are the first colour images I've processed for over 3 years, and I know I'm VERY rusty!

Details:  APM 80/f4.5, 54x1200s Ha, 34x1200s OIII, Moravian G2-8300, Astrodon 3nm Ha & OIII

All Ha IC1396 HOO.jpg

All Ha IC1396 H(G)O.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that these have come out really well...... I am so pleased that you are back to the land of the imagers!! :D

The stars looks lovely and small, the colours look subtle and the details look top drawer..... I don't think there's anything critical to be said. Well done!!! I remember a few years ago, you talked me through my first ever HST creation as I had no idea how to do it! You knew what you were doing then and you clearly still can put together a very nice colour image :)

I think these are a knockout. Pin sharp without looking sharpened, an excellent call on the noise level, subtle colour processing, tiny stars, a general air of understatement...

Right on the money. I have nothing to suggest at all.

Olly

Firstly, I must on my apologies to everyone - Unfortunately work caught up with me (which was very inconsiderate!) so although I've seen your posts coming through on my phone, this if the first chance I've had to get to a keyboard (I'm an old git, and can't get used to this text input lark on Smart phones!).

Secondly, my thanks to everyone for the very kind and generous comments - It's very much appreciated indeed as my confidence is pretty low at the moment, especially wth processing.  I'd forgotten what a HUGE minefield it is...

@ Sara - I must be getting old, as I really can't remember talking you through HST palette processing... But I'm really not sure I knew what I was really doing back then... and I'm not really all that sure I do now :).  At the moment it feels a bit like a case of an infinite monkey cage (and pressing all the buttons to see what happens... I bet if I wanted to try and replicate these, I wouldn't come anywhere near!)

@ Steve - Yes... those persistent gremlins very nearly put paid to my interest in the hobby quite a few times over the last few years, but things do seem to be finally slotting into place :).  I have to admit I'm never too sure what HOO palette images are supposed to look like (you should have seen version 1!)

@ Rob - I don't think I'll ever be processing NB images without star removal from now on... I don't want to go on about it, but Straton really does make like a lot easier than "the manual way" :)

@ Scott - Mrs UK was indeed very pleased (and shocked) to see a colour image for a change...!

@ Olly - As Steve has alluded, I've had a few issues for a while, which has taken quite some time to get around... But for any more gremlins appearing(?), I think I'm fairly confident I can now more or less get reasonable data in the can (although as I mentioned OIII leaves me a bit cold!), but this processing lark is still just as much of a maze as it was 3 years ago... I'm dreading the prospect of processing an LRGB image!

@ Matt - I think it's all too easy to hit NB images with a "saturation sledge hammer"...  and certainly with this star removal processing technique, it's very easy indeed to REALLY boost the colour data... and push it too far!  It was ChrisLX200 who suggested ramping back on a few things towards the end of image process workflow in another thread I posted recently, and it's certainly something I'll be watching out for in future...

Hi Tim - The star removal programme I use is called Straton - The not so good news is that it's commercial software... but the better news is that it's only £12.73 (inc VAT).  Quite a few people have tried it...  You CAN also remove the stars in PS using iteratively reducing application of dust and scratches - It's described pretty well in this Tone Mapping PDF by JP Metsavainio...

11 hours ago, AndyUK said:

Hi Tim - The star removal programme I use is called Straton - The not so good news is that it's commercial software... but the better news is that it's only £12.73 (inc VAT).  Quite a few people have tried it...  You CAN also remove the stars in PS using iteratively reducing application of dust and scratches - It's described pretty well in this Tone Mapping PDF by JP Metsavainio...

I cant believe I've never heard of this software before. From what im reading on the link it simply removes them, allows you to hammer it in processing then re insert them? If that's the case "take my money" 

Pretty much :).  It seems to work very well for NB images, as long as you don't mind white stars (although you can always throw in some RGB stars if you want to...)

Again though, you can do this manually using iteratively reducing PS dust and scratches (as described in the JP Metsvainio PDF) but I just find that this is easier...

For these I just used the default settings, but I did then need to review what it had done and take out some stubborn dots that had been left behind, but that's just a double click on each... :).  Simples...

Very nice Andy.  I love the processing of these images - if that's your level when 'rusty' then give me rusty skills any day !!!  Both cracking images, although the second is my favourite.  Who needs an SII filter anyway (?!!)

Kit

Thanks Kit!  " Who needs an SII filter anyway (?!!)" - I must admit, that thought has been wandering through my head a little, but it's on order now... and if I'm to try and get anywhere near the colours in your IC1396, I have a fair suspicion that SII data does add to it... :)

Andy, do you know how to use straton with rgb images? If you do, i have put a question in the processing section that you might be able to answer. If not, no probs. Thinking of buying it soon. Compared to the expense and trouble of trying to buy a 80mm refractor that works, £14 or whatever is peanuts! 

Archived