NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

THE FAULKS 20" F4 DOB BUILD

faulksy

53 minutes ago, Piero said:

Aha, no problem! 🙂

After reading on CN that kydex can deform if exposed to modest heat, I decided to go for what people (including some professional telescope makers) use nowadays over there: ABS.

Mine was bought here:

https://www.plasticstockist.com/

"2500x1250x1mm Black Smooth ABS in Matt finish"

As you can imagine, I still have a large part of this sheet, enough for a few other telescopes or a giant dobson... feel free to PM me if you want some.

The matt finish is on one side. I decided to use that side for the outside of the UTA and the reflective side for the inside wall. This because my plan was to use black flocking paper on the whole internal wall. 

This added some weight, but it wasn't a concern for me, due to the large bearing diameter (28") which allowed me to raise the horizontal COG, while still keeping the mirror box reasonably shallow.

One of these days I will attach the astrosystems dew heater to the secondary mirror, completing the UTA. 🙂

IMG_20201018_194502.thumb.jpg.b6d13ee49f0ae763ec29c2a4e8de0f82.jpg

thank you piero. pm on its way 🤣

It's great to see this thread resurrected, more recent SGLr's will get to see this fantastic build :)

It's also a reminder that I should pull my finger out with certain shelved project! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris said:

It's great to see this thread resurrected, more recent SGLr's will get to see this fantastic build :)

It's also a reminder that I should pull my finger out with certain shelved project! 

true lockie, sorry i mean chris.

big congrats on your job with flo as well

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, niallk said:

Jayz for a second I thought you were building another dob 🤣

Great craftsmanship, beaut of a scope!

🤣 brilliant nial

Edited by faulksy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris said:

It's great to see this thread resurrected, more recent SGLr's will get to see this fantastic build

Yes, Mikes build should be made a sticky or easily accessible somehow, excellent craftsmanship. As was @mapstar. His build should be highlighted too IMHO.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Yes, Mikes build should be made a sticky or easily accessible somehow, excellent craftsmanship. As was @mapstar. His build should be highlighted too IMHO.

no problem with that gerry 😇

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

@faulksy 

Nice work, Mike!

Are you going to mount the wheelbarrow handles to those two holes on the horizontal bar? If this is the plan, I would consider a mechanism to lock the mirror box to the rocker box, to prevent the former from sliding frontally as the inclination changes when the telescope is moved around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piero said:

@faulksy 

Nice work, Mike!

Are you going to mount the wheelbarrow handles to those two holes on the horizontal bar? If this is the plan, I would consider a mechanism to lock the mirror box to the rocker box, to prevent the former from sliding frontally as the inclination changes when the telescope is moved around. 

@Piero yes the handles will mount to those holes. i didnt lock the mirror box before so it should be the same. scope is loads better now though and a bit lighter with it being made of aluminum 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wow Mike, what a story. Lows, highs and a early relationship temporary parting. A (labour of) love with a happy ending... I can only imaging what the 3.5 XW may do for it - and I'm probably wrong. :D

Hopefully I might see it one day and night.

Adrian

Edited by UKDiver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UKDiver said:

Wow Mike, what a story. Lows, highs and a early relationship temporary parting. A (labour of) love with a happy ending... I can only imaging what the 3.5 XW may do for it - and I'm probably wrong. :D

Hopefully I might see it one day and night.

Adrian

You can always come out to Spain and have a look through it next year 😅

• Like 1

I'd have thought you were planning your upgrade by now, Faulksy! A 30 incher? 😉😁

Seriously, I'm a relative newcomer on here so didn't know about this thread and build....but I've just spent hours reading it from start to finish. What a wonderful job you did!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I'd have thought you were planning your upgrade by now, Faulksy! A 30 incher? 😉😁

Seriously, I'm a relative newcomer on here so didn't know about this thread and build....but I've just spent hours reading it from start to finish. What a wonderful job you did!

It is a long read. But I'm glad you like it 😁

• 4 months later...

I have just read this thread for the first time and was thoroughly engrossed from beginning to end.

What an amazing story, it was like a really good book, you know when you just can't put it down.

An absolutely amazing big dob, with stunning workmanship! I'm in awe of your skills building this Mike.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ukskies said:

I have just read this thread for the first time and was thoroughly engrossed from beginning to end.

What an amazing story, it was like a really good book, you know when you just can't put it down.

An absolutely amazing big dob, with stunning workmanship! I'm in awe of your skills building this Mike.

you will be able to see it in the flesh soon gary 🤣

• Like 1