NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Early morning treats.

Awoke at a late 2.00, crystal darkness with Cygnus showing the Milky Way. Grabbed the 10" Dob, first up , 
Mars. How lovely , although low and previously difficult , the ice cap and surface markings showed. This was at x216, which I used on Saturn.
The rings are full on with a the Cassini showing well. Bit more wobbly of late, all warmth from the town no doubt.

Then a quick glide from M57 downwards. Catching M56 in Lyra, just head from M57 to Albireo to hit this at x50. It really sparkles at x80. Then over to another globular,M71 along the arrow of Sagitta. Again a sparkly view . 
I used a 30mm and a 25mm with a x2 Barlow. I think this greatly helps with coma, worth a try.
Using a UHC filter on M27, it glowed so very brightly, one end being brighter and the whole being almost fluffy against the darkened background. 

A lovely morning, no dew, no breeze and warm enough to enjoy. By 3, enough predawn light emerged to bleach out deep sky targets. I'll have to get up earlier , such moonless mornings of that quality are rare here,
Clear skies,
Nick.

Your well on the way to beating me to 100 Nick. Nice report as normal from you, I always feel M71 never really looks like a globular cluster, I was viewing that one night when I came across my first comet a few years back. Still in the grips of rain here and forecast is not very promising for the days to come.

Alan

I saw the southern sky at the same time Nick, and it looked so inviting, but my wife and I had to be out at 5.30 this morning, so I am praying for tonight/tomorrow morning. Pleased for you. :happy11:

Thank you young whippersnapper ! I usually go to bed and wake straight up again. This morning was so warm , unwilling to wake up Madame ( not happy in the early hours or not often),I was observing mainly in Primark Pjs and a jumper and crocs.

Hurrah for summer , soon be the longest day !

Nick.

9 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Awoke at a late 2.00, crystal darkness with Cygnus showing the Milky Way. Grabbed the 10" Dob, first up , 
Mars. How lovely , although low and previously difficult , the ice cap and surface markings showed. This was at x216, which I used on Saturn.
The rings are full on with a the Cassini showing well. Bit more wobbly of late, all warmth from the town no doubt.

Then a quick glide from M57 downwards. Catching M56 in Lyra, just head from M57 to Albireo to hit this at x50. It really sparkles at x80. Then over to another globular,M71 along the arrow of Sagitta. Again a sparkly view . 
I used a 30mm and a 25mm with a x2 Barlow. I think this greatly helps with coma, worth a try.
Using a UHC filter on M27, it glowed so very brightly, one end being brighter and the whole being almost fluffy against the darkened background. 

A lovely morning, no dew, no breeze and warm enough to enjoy. By 3, enough predawn light emerged to bleach out deep sky targets. I'll have to get up earlier , such moonless mornings of that quality are rare here,
Clear skies,
Nick.

sounds great nick, so nice objects there , love m27

15 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

By 3, enough predawn light emerged to bleach out deep sky targets. I'll have to get up earlier , such moonless mornings of that quality are rare here

Early mornings are gettin' a lot earlier these days!  I saw Mars and Saturn ramping up around 1am as I finally hit the hay.  I'm not surprised you had some Milky Way as it just had that feel in the atmosphere..........I feel a bins only session coming up :) 

I'll have to get up earlier , such moonless mornings of that quality are rare here

Think your pulling our leg Nick, seems as though the only clear patch of sky hangs out over your house.

Great report Nick as usual 

Archived