Banner.jpg.5ed196c1e70861ebc79109e023c96067.jpg

New Sliding Roof Mini Garden Observatory Build

Domain105

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Love it! You've done a fantastic job there, blends in really well too. I hope you get many happy sessions with your new obsy, congratulations 👏

Thank you. Just waiting for clear night's now but from what I have done, the setup time is now minutes compared to an hour or so before. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really like this obsy build, so much so that it feels perfect for my needs and am planning to replicate it. Just curious to know, now that you've had a bit of time to use if there is anything you'd change or add?

ta! Rob

On 18/01/2022 at 11:56, Jannerland said:

I really like this obsy build, so much so that it feels perfect for my needs and am planning to replicate it. Just curious to know, now that you've had a bit of time to use if there is anything you'd change or add?

ta! Rob

Hello Rob. Thanks for the kind words. I've been using it since the summer and it working perfectly. I am getting dew on the concrete pier on the outer plastic tubing but nothing on the scope or camera it self.  One thing I have changed is that I still had to get up out of my comfy bed in the middle of the night to close the roof if rain was forecast over night.  So what I have now done is add a motorised roof system to it. I'll try upload some pics but essentially it uses a motor (12v high torque low RPM) with some sprockets and a roller chain to pull the roof close and open. I've connected it all to a WIFI relay switch which I can control from my mobile. Now I can close the roof once done without having to get up. I also installed a wifi IP cam in the obsy so I can make sure the telescope is in the horizontal position before I close the roof. 

As the 12v motor I used was self locking so without power, the roof cannot be opened. I got a small 12v 7AH battery, a solar charge controller and a 50W solar panel which I will connect to the roof motor so I can open and close without connecting external power. It was not really necessary but I wanted to add some solar panel elements to it.

I've only set the polar alignment once using Sharpcap and not touched it since. I can do 5 mins subs with no trailing using PHD2 so that is working fine.

It is a bit cramped in the obsy but I don't really go in it much. 

My imaging routing is now...

• connect the external power via the commando socket
  • Turn on the mount power
  • Turn on the DSLR
  • Take off the telescope and finderscope covers
  • Connect my laptop to the USB cable from the USB hub (which everything else is connected to)
  • Turn on the laptop 
  • Go inside and connect via RDP to the laptop and image.

Once done, I put the scope in its horizontal home position and close the roof. All done 🙂

Everything has been weather proofed but I am looking out for wet patches if any occur. Not found anything so far luckily.

Give me a shout if you need anything etc Happy to do a video for you or even a video call and give you a guided tour if you like. I'm here if you need any help mate. 🙂 

On 30/10/2021 at 12:04, Domain105 said:

Thank you. Just waiting for clear night's now but from what I have done, the setup time is now minutes compared to an hour or so before. 

Some images I've taken since setting up the obsy. I live in a Bortle 8/9 zone and only have a modded Canon 450D (hoping to get a Asi294MC at some point) on a HEQ5 with a SW150PDS and a 9x50 finderscope with a QHY5 guide cam.

Subs are 5 mins each using a CLS filter for the light pollution. The images are a lot better now as I can expose for hours rather than the short times I did before.

M31.jpeg

M33.jpg

M45.jpeg

M45.jpg

Sadr.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2022 at 22:19, Domain105 said:

Some images I've taken since setting up the obsy. I live in a Bortle 8/9 zone and only have a modded Canon 450D (hoping to get a Asi294MC at some point) on a HEQ5 with a SW150PDS and a 9x50 finderscope with a QHY5 guide cam.

Subs are 5 mins each using a CLS filter for the light pollution. The images are a lot better now as I can expose for hours rather than the short times I did before.

M31.jpeg

M33.jpg

M45.jpeg

M45.jpg

Sadr.jpg

Great looking images. Just a tad too reddish for my taste though 🙂 What tools are you using to post process the images?

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

Hello, I really struggle with colours. I'm VERY red green colour blind so what looks normal to me often offends my missus 😄 . Not an ideal situation when you are trying to eek out colour from images. I use a CLS Clip in light pollution filter which really messes up the colours anyway. They all seem very red / green to me. Hoping to move to the IMX571 sensor (ASI2600) in the near future along with L-pro to control the light pollution which I am hoping will give more truer colours.

From a image processing point of view, I have a mix of Gimp, Photoshop and had Topaz denoise for a while on trial. I really do need to move up to something like Pixinsight at some point too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at SIRIL it has photometric colour correction wheich seems to do a good job. Amazing software considering it's free.

I just wish I had room for any sort of permanent observatory but yours is an inspiration, well done!

Edited by Len1257
  • Like 1