Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

remote pc access

I use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol which I am told is better than Teamviewer. I am very far from an expert and I had help to set it all up but it does work very smoothly. As Julian pointed out, you need a certain grade of Windows on the remote machine, Pro or above I think. As far as I know - but could be wrong - the other machine can have any flavour of Windows. My remote machine is a second hand Dell Laptop with an Ebay sourced Windows 7 Pro. My desktop is Windows 10 Home. That combination definitely works. One perhaps theoretical advantage I understand is that Microsoft RDP supports multiple monitors if you want to set up your own NASA control room.

Regards, Hugh

If the wifi struggles to the shed, as mine does, you could also use a couple of network power line adapters. My linksys ones have been great for several years now. Recently upgraded to the 3 port ones, and have a Foscam ip camera in there as well.

I use powerline across different ring circuits and it works reasonably well despite there being at least 2 RCDs in the network path - I use 200Mbps adapters and get a reliable data transfer rate of about 10Mbytes / second (80Mbps) - almost double that between the fastest segments of the network. Remote desktop works fine and it only takes a couple of minutes to transfer a night's images from the computer in the observatory to one of my machines in the house.

This thread confirms that several people have a similar experience operating across rings but, as the Americans say, YMMV.

HTH

Derrick

Power line adapter now fitted in shed £25 from maplins ,computers now communicating through team viewer 11,, BRILLIANT  team viewer was fairly painless to configure , cheers everyone , oh and the power line works fine even though it's on a different circuit , maplins guy said works through the earth ?

Archived