Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 07/03 from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

Looking at the forecast for the next week this is probably as close to opposition as I will be able to get this year - though it was good to get out and give the gear a quick run.

Nice to get a little session and some data.

2016-03-07-2348_5-JG-L_web.png.ee40a145e

Not sure why FC is reporting such a high focal length at almost double - though this is not drizzled or resized.

I finally cracked and put myself on the waiting list for the ADC last night - though this may be some weeks away and doubtless Jupiter will be in recession before I get the chance to play :)

Welcome back posting Jake. Always a pleasure to see what your getting. I know how far you progressed last year. And probably the best images I have seen of Jupiter with the shorter FL OO scope in this country. At one Time I thought maybe the shorter FL, OO scope didn't cut it compared to the 6.3. From what I have generally seen from those using the scope.

But you changed my mind about that, with the lovely work you did last year. Hope you get another crack at this with better conditions.

But under the seeing Good shot Jake

Very nice indeed Jake. I too enjoy your images so am glad to see you posting again. 

I've also been away from posting planetary pics for a while as I have been having major problems myself with my setup and am still to sort them but just don't have the technical knowledge base for the type of scope I am now using. Enough about me! Welcome back and cracking image with a lovely shadow transit :) 

6 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Welcome back posting Jake. Always a pleasure to see what your getting. I know how far you progressed last year. And probably the best images I have seen of Jupiter with the shorter FL OO scope in this country. At one Time I thought maybe the shorter FL, OO scope didn't cut it compared to the 6.3. From what I have generally seen from those using the scope.

But you changed my mind about that, with the lovely work you did last year. Hope you get another crack at this with better conditions.

But under the seeing Good shot Jake

Thanks Neil, it is good to get a little run in, it has been difficult this season to get out and set up this season due to my daughters problems and not having the luxury of an observatory.   Though hope things will turn a corner and improve over the coming months, allowing more time to play.     I know the OO can perform a lot better so hoping for better conditions and time once the ADC arrives.

2 hours ago, si@nite said:

Good to see you posting again Jake & a nice image to boot!

Cheers also Simon, hope to get a few more outings over the next month or so.

That's a lovely image Jake. Hopefully we will all get many chances in the coming weeks.

Best regards,

Ralph

2 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

A fine looking image with plenty of detail.  Firecapture shows a FL of 6000+ when I use a x2 Barlow as well with my C9.25. 

Thanks Pete - your C9.25 focal length is 2350mm, so this could be pushed to 6000mm+ with a 2x barlow and some extension.   My native focal length is around 1200mm, so with my 3x TV barlow and no extension I would expect FC to report around 3600mm - though I will double check that I haven't put the 5x powermate in the train by mistake ;)

I'll have to look up how focal length is calculated from image size.

Edit - Just found this link http://www.acquerra.com.au/astro/docs/focallength.html - I believe the pixel size on the 224MC is 3.75um, so I will do the maths (later) :)

Here's the Maths...

Jupiter apparent size equator 44.4as, width at equator in pixels 231, pixel size 3.75um

(206.265 x 231 x 3.75)/44.4 = 4024mm 

Reasonably close to the 3600mm expected focal length.   Focal ratio would be F16 assuming my primary is an exact 250mm diameter.

Archived