Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Virgo Supercluster - Part one (of many!)

Uranium235

Last night was clear and dark enough to have a crack at something I've had my eyes on for a while now - a 3x3 mosaic of the heart of the Virgo supercluster.

Its still a little early to be starting this one since for the first half of the night its sitting down in the murk, which makes for some pretty shocking gradients - which is where most of the work has gone in this becuase its jolly difficult to put together a mosaic where every pane has a gradient! You can flat field until you are blue in the face, but it wont fix your LP!

Anyway, I poked it about for a few hours and got it to the stage where its like "ok, if I poke it any more Im going to break it!". As always, more data is needed on the existing panes - as well as another 6 to go with the first three.... lets see how I get on ey? :)

Once finished it would be nice to have it annoted because there will be quite a lot of galaxies in shot.

8x600 (L) x3 panes

Star71, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

Give it a moment to load.... its a big(ish) image!

24996118503_47cfedf2d6_o.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Chris :)

The new forum software allows you to view it fullsize too! (4972x3733) It would take quite a while to count all the fuzzies ive already captured.... gawd knows what the finished article will look like! :D  Probably couldnt post it fullsize like I have just, it would take an eternity to load.

Thanks Michael, Im hoping to add to it when I get down to Lucksall :)

Make sure you report to Scotts tent if youre there Thursday, Im going to be baking a cake to bring with me.... cant see it lasting long! :p

5 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Thanks Chris :)

The new forum software allows you to view it fullsize too! (4972x3733) It would take quite a while to count all the fuzzies ive already captured.... gawd knows what the finished article will look like! :D  Probably couldnt post it fullsize like I have just, it would take an eternity to load.

I didn't know you could do that. I've just had a look at it all full size.....Amazing!

Just now, Scott said:

Very nice rob though a little soul destoying.... How long is it going to take me with the 414ex I wonder? I started last night too:crybaby2:

Not to worry mate, you can have an extra large slice of cake to drown your sorrows ;)

Hey, at least you have colour! (and its a clean image to boot) - I definitely wont be adding colour to this one, it would take about as long as it would for you to cover it with the 414.... ages!

Lovely images. A friend of mine mentioned the supercluster to me at the weekend (being quite new to AP I'd not heard of it) and having read about it the last couple of days, I'm keen to have a crack myself. I note that the images in this thread are taken with SW130 scopes, i guess with my SW 200 I'm going to need to mosaic a fair number of images. The beginnings of a large project me thinks...

5 minutes ago, RSM said:

Lovely images. A friend of mine mentioned the supercluster to me at the weekend (being quite new to AP I'd not heard of it) and having read about it the last couple of days, I'm keen to have a crack myself. I note that the images in this thread are taken with SW130 scopes, i guess with my SW 200 I'm going to need to mosaic a fair number of images. The beginnings of a large project me thinks...

Large project would be an understatement with a SW200! :)  The Virgo supercluster is massive, if I wanted to cover it all I would probably need an 8x8 mosaic.

If you load up stellarium and use the oculars function to display your FOV, it will give you an idea of just how many panes you would need -maybe 3-4 times more than mine. Its probably best to start off with the Markarian chain first (like Scott did), then branch out from there.

5 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Large project would be an understatement with a SW200! :)  The Virgo supercluster is massive, if I wanted to cover it all I would probably need an 8x8 mosaic.

If you load up stellarium and use the oculars function to display your FOV, it will give you an idea of just how many panes you would need -maybe 3-4 times more than mine. Its probably best to start off with the Markarian chain first (like Scott did), then branch out from there.

Hi, like I said - fairly new to AP :-) Will start in the middle and work outwards.

Great image. I am using this target to tune and configure my setup with my new CCD and Star 71. Even with my puny 60 second test shots there are a lot of fuzzies popping out.

Like the face made out of galaxies staring back too!

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

I hope the wind dies down tonight for you, you'll have a wonderful galactic-scape across the panels, so many tiny galaxies to count.

Fabulous project.

lol... no chance of going out tonight! The gear is disassembled and packed ready for my trip down to Lucksall tomorrow. Just need to bake my camera desiccant and its all ready to roll.

I just had to do it, ,,,,,,took me 25 minutes to counts the fuzzies

I stopped at 38 as it was making my eyes water straining so hard lol

for the faint ones,

Great project Rob, and thanks for bringing a tear to my eyes

well done

Paul

11 minutes ago, ultranova said:

I just had to do it, ,,,,,,took me 25 minutes to counts the fuzzies

I stopped at 38 as it was making my eyes water straining so hard lol

for the faint ones,

Great project Rob, and thanks for bringing a tear to my eyes

well done

Paul

I think there will be a few more than 38 when im finished, here is what a 3x3 mosaic should buy me:

FOV.jpg.5bf6063c77d3aca09a81bb16fe0e1a01

And thats just the NGC and IC galaxies :eek:

Archived