Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB powered hub

I need too get a powered usb hub,as Eqmod will not work with an active 5m usb cable so can anyone recommend  before i purchase one later blindly ,then im going to fit them into a plastic tool box i have that i will convert into a warm box so keeping the damp at bay . 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a Startech USB3 7 port powered hub, not cheap but worth buying something reliable.
Fixed to tripod, needs 12volt power supply.
The only snag is the row of bright blue lights that have to be blocked out with red tape.

Dave

• 2 months later...

My Startech Hub 7 port hub failed after a month!   No data being passed - it powers devices up just fine but cannot see any devices connected to it.  Tryign to find if Amazon will replace.  N ot happy seeign what this cost!

Never had any problems with Amazon in the past. They just swapped out or refunded on return. If it is only a month old they have no leg to stand on I would suppose anyway. Best of luck for a swift solution.

They are by design. whether they will all work is another matter. There are some design problems still with USB3. One is they operate at the almost identical frequency of 2.4Ghz as the WiFi devices. This has caused some device failures.

3 minutes ago, Physopto said:

They are by design. whether they will all work is another matter. There are some design problems still with USB3. One is they operate at the almost identical frequency of 2.4Ghz as the WiFi devices. This has caused some device failures.

Interesting, Im going to be building an obsy pc, which I will either control remotely via WiFi or a cable. 

It makes sens to have the data stored on an external hard drive that can be moved around and USB3 makes sense with its speed and its the future i guess.

If you are hard wired to the house then there should be no problem. It only seems to affect local WiFi  routers and such. Some manufacturers are now separating out the USB3 connections and shielding them from the WiFi modules. There are also some problems with the USB3 connection lengths as has been testified to here on SGL.

56 minutes ago, Physopto said:

If you are hard wired to the house then there should be no problem. It only seems to affect local WiFi  routers and such. Some manufacturers are now separating out the USB3 connections and shielding them from the WiFi modules. There are also some problems with the USB3 connection lengths as has been testified to here on SGL.

I recently bought a 15M USB3 extension cable (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BLPSVZS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and can confirm it works reliably with both a HDD and my ASI178MM camera. Not cheap but it's a very heavy duty cable. Note that it needs a 5V supply at the remote end and although it's supplied with a mains power brick that wasn't very useful to me because I don't have 240v mains at the pier, so I tapped into a 5v supply to my Quark, then later made a 12v > 5v power cable.

DSC00910_zpswjfonpkg.jpg

ChrisH

PS. I also discovered is does not like being plugged into a hub at the computer end - I got failed device detections until I plugged it straight into a USB3 socket on the motherboard..

Just now, KyleStoke said:

Hi Chris, I will probably run cat5 depending if the missus kicks up a fuss about me running them up the side of the house etc

I have two Cat6 cables to the pier as well :-) They run underground (with several other power and data cables) so I don't have the hassle of running all the cables out each session. I'm thinking I would like this cable underground too but I cannot face the prospect of having to dig up the loom again!

ChrisH

1 minute ago, ChrisLX200 said:

I have two Cat6 cables to the pier as well :-) They run underground (with several other power and data cables) so I don't have the hassle of running all the cables out each session. I'm thinking I would like this cable underground too but I cannot face the prospect of having to dig up the loom again!

ChrisH

HaHa I can understand the digging up part, i dont want to see a shovel for a long time.

May i ask why you also need this cable on top of your others? i used to run separate usb cables for imaging cam, guide cam etc, but would of thought you were ok with the cat6

5 minutes ago, KyleStoke said:

HaHa I can understand the digging up part, i dont want to see a shovel for a long time.

May i ask why you also need this cable on top of your others? i used to run separate usb cables for imaging cam, guide cam etc, but would of thought you were ok with the cat6

The ASI178MM - it's a USB3 camera.

ChrisH

23 hours ago, KyleStoke said:

Hi Chris, I will probably run cat5 depending if the missus kicks up a fuss about me running them up the side of the house etc

I was going to use cat5 to my pulsar dome 40 metres total length. I tried it before running it through conduit to the obsy. Speednet result was 1.5 Mbytes :shocked:. Ordered Cat6 which gave 50 Mbytes. Obviusly this is eependant on the length and quality of your cable, but I would certainly go the extra and use Cat6.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I will speak to my it consultant(brother) and whatever he says will give the best performance ill go for, Like you say cat6 will be better so I will go for that.

I think It will be more like 20m I need but it always ends up being more than you think.

25 minutes ago, KyleStoke said:

Hi Steve,

I will speak to my it consultant(brother) and whatever he says will give the best performance ill go for, Like you say cat6 will be better so I will go for that.

I think It will be more like 20m I need but it always ends up being more than you think.

Two type of cat 6 solid copper of CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium).  Even though CCA is cheaper, don't get it as it is not as good (performance wise and people say it can oxidise over time).  Problems are greater rover longer runs.

If you are unsure, just Google "Cat6 CCA vs solid copper".  Both are readily available so you need to be careful what you buy.

Ian

Archived