Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Solar Attempt

Aussie Dave

Had a few hours free this afternoon so I attempted some solar images. All images taken with the Celestron Nexstar 8i with white light filter.

First image was taken with the Nikon D3100 and basic editing in PaintDotNet with colour added.

56d588a4af96f_DSC_1737Test2(Small).png.a

I had little success with the Nikon with exposure or clarity so I didn't go any further with it.

Next I tried afocal with a Celestron 32mm EP, Fujifilm 10mp compact camera and added a polarising filter and an orange filter with slightly better results.

56d58b50c7459_DSCF0267Test(Small).png.43

I did basic image editing in PDN to bring out the sun spots from the photo above

56d58c1639983_DSCF0267full.png.313eca931

The next photo is similar taken 5 seconds after the previous afocal photo. Below it, it has 2 slightly different image edits in PDN to bring out the sun spots.

56d58d1980001_DSCF0268(Small).png.4c2541

56d58dfd96105_DSCF0268full.png.2ffc79220

56d58e5693195_DSCF0268full2.png.3f8bdb9d

All comments welcome both good and bad. I really have no idea how to process single solar shots. For the 2 similar original shots I have 3 different results. I did try RS6 and AS!2 on multiple similar looking shots but both programs spat the dummy with my solar efforts.

Could someone tell me the best way to go about pre- processing, software and editing.

Cheers

Dave.

Thanks Charl but I really do like the dark side!

I found the answer to my question... it was at the top of the Solar Imaging forum page :)

It looks like another big step up to master this, not that I've mastered much of anything else yet :happy8:

Excellent start to your Solar adventures Dave.  With all that sunshine you get, I'm sure you'll come on in leaps and bounds.  I smiled when I read in your post about the baking sunshine you had to put up with, my session this morning  followed a few hours of steady snow fall. 

3 hours ago, Dave Smith said:

Welcome to the light side Dave. That's a pretty good first effort. :thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks Dave but I'm just passing through, there's too many goodies to be had on the dark side :D

48 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Excellent start to your Solar adventures Dave.  With all that sunshine you get, I'm sure you'll come on in leaps and bounds.  I smiled when I read in your post about the baking sunshine you had to put up with, my session this morning  followed a few hours of steady snow fall. 

Cheers Paul, it'll be our turn next with poor weather in a couple of months. Glad we don't get snow though, you can keep that :)

Archived