NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Leo Triplet with 130pds

Epicycle

Hi,

it's been a while since I've posted here. I've been using the 130pds again lately, this time with some broadband; I attach a classic, the Leo triplet.

It's 10hs of LRGB (7hsL+3hsRGB) with the 130pds and Atik 460 captured with Sequence Generator Pro, processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.

Mount: HEq5 with Lodestar guider.

There is a very faint hint of the tidal tale of Ngc 3628 and that's probably all I'm going to get from my light polluted location unless

I increase considerably the exposure time.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking!

cheers

Epicycle

Leo_c_v1.thumb.jpg.d41afe5a54e028c9077c1

PS-I had a go at the triplet with the 130 and the H9 a couple of years ago, but this data is much cleaner.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, johnrt said:

That is very nice! And who said you can't image galaxies with such a small aperture!??!

Couldn't agree more.  You've done this classic justice, lovely colouring, especially M66 and super detail on the star-forming H clumps in the arms.

4 hours ago, DaveS said:

Like that a lot.

Your kit is very similar to mine, though I suspect you may have somewhat darker skies. Gives me some encouragement to persist with my efforts.

My skies are not that great... But with our kit we can still have some fun! Looking forward to seeing your images.

E.

2 hours ago, Epicycle said:

My skies are not that great... But with our kit we can still have some fun! Looking forward to seeing your images.

E.

Well, for what it's worth here's where I got to last year

56c8cde5be6b6_Lum90flatdarkbias.thumb.pn

Luminance only as yet. I do have some RGB data, but only 36 min of each, not enough for a worthwhile image, I have tried.

32 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Well, for what it's worth here's where I got to last year

56c8cde5be6b6_Lum90flatdarkbias.thumb.pn

Luminance only as yet. I do have some RGB data, but only 36 min of each, not enough for a worthwhile image, I have tried.

That's a very nice luminance! Hopefully you can finish it when the moon goes away. I find that one hour of each R,G,B is enough to get the colour (although my star colour is never great), but with the L, I try to get at least 6hs (weather permitting of course...).

E.

Ha, mine's in my bedroom with a newly fitted 15" Losmandy dovetail. Overkill yeah, but I had it lying around, time on my hands and rubbish weather, you know how it is.....

ATM my HEQ5 is adorned with my Megrez 90 and ST80 guide 'scope, while I have a new 80 f/4.4 six element astrograph awaiting first light, so maybe in a month or so I'll be able to get some more Leo data.

1 hour ago, Uranium235 said:

The 130 strikes again! Nice image.

Mines sitting in the corner, and just given me a funny look.....lol. I suppose I should give it a run out again at some point :)

Well, galaxy season is just around the corner and for that you might find that the wo71 needs replacing!

E.

58 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Ha, mine's in my bedroom with a newly fitted 15" Losmandy dovetail. Overkill yeah, but I had it lying around, time on my hands and rubbish weather, you know how it is.....

ATM my HEQ5 is adorned with my Megrez 90 and ST80 guide 'scope, while I have a new 80 f/4.4 six element astrograph awaiting first light, so maybe in a month or so I'll be able to get some more Leo data.

Well, a six element astrograph is too much for the humble 130! Have fun with the first light.

E.

Archived