NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Native American Eye to the Sky (Objiwe)

orion25

Having Native American ancestry, I invite my fellow loungers to consider looking at the night sky in a slightly different fashion. I recently discovered some Native American star charts showing how some of the Native peoples mapped the nighttime sky. Here is the first of which from the the Objiwe (Chippewa) people of the Ontario region in Canada and Great Lakes Region of the United States, adapted by Dakota educator Annette Lee. I especially like the characterization of what we call Orion as "Wintermaker" (the moose is pretty cool, too):

Native%20Sky%20Map%20Ojibwe%20Annette%20

Dohiyi (peace),

Reggie

Hey Reggie -

Santee (Sioux-branch) here. Did you know that Stellarium can be set to show you the sky in Lakota culture? Complete with the constellations labeled and shown with the correct figures from the Lakota people. Not sure of others - but Alex Wolf is always happy to add other culture's traditional languages and imagery.

Ho Ka Hay -

Dave

21 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Hey Reggie -

Santee (Sioux-branch) here. Did you know that Stellarium can be set to show you the sky in Lakota culture? Complete with the constellations labeled and shown with the correct figures from the Lakota people. Not sure of others - but Alex Wolf is always happy to add other culture's traditional languages and imagery.

Ho Ka Hay -

Dave

I didn't know that; supercool! I will check that out straight away. Thanks, Dave! :hello2:

Wado, unali-i

It's great to see how other cultures see the night sky. I'd like to see more.

Saw a fascinating programme about Cahokia recently. Archaeologists were puzzled by the 5° offset of the mounds, until they realized that unlike other early cultures which were sun based, this was moon based. That explained the offset; they celebrated moonrise rather than sunrise.

2 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

Good to see this information being publicised :headbang: - on my own website I invite people to glean a bit more understanding of various Australian Indigenous cultures' knowledge & night-sky lore!

Visit my website: http://momilika.net/

Hi -

Stellarium does have an option for the Boorong People of Australia. You'll find it on the 'Sky and viewing options' on the left-hand menu. Under Starlore.

Enjoy -

Dave

Archived