Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC2244 Rosette in Ha, popular and lovely!

Barry-Wilson

With such limited opportunity for imaging I thought I'd post this image as there is no chance any time soon to capture more data . . . but I'm ever hopeful that Devon's skies will clear so I can do this target justice with a beautiful HaRGB rendition.

Only 1 hour total integration (3 x 1200s), but I do benefit from reasonably dark skies and a fast scope :hello2:.  I also used the new PI script Mure Noise Reduction on the linear stack and it has helped with the fine grained back ground noise, especially with such limited signal.  Only a light touch to the processing too.

Hi res here, http://astrob.in/237827/0/

I chose to frame this to show some space around the nebula and also to develop the 'stem'.  Much more to do here but it such a beautiful nebula.

Thanks for looking.

56b3904eafe50_NGC2244RosetteNebulaHa.thu

Thanks everyone.  The Kodak chip is no slouch and maybe this capture shows that.

I'm on the very edge of Totnes surrounded on 3 sides by farmland and no street lights and this really helps as you can imagine.

I do find this nebula intoxicating and mesmerising!

I've managed a single 300s red sub since capturing the Ha . . . if only clear skies were forecast with the New Moon . . . sigh.

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

Sounds like an interesting script Barry - i did look at it once and then my head exploded and that was that :D

Ha Ha LOL! Pixinsight can be like that I know!

This topic on the PI forum helped me, http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=9206.0.

Before reading this I hadn't dared take the plunge to experiment as it did look intimidating.  I inserted '0.5' into the Gain box (from the QSI website), inserted '10' into the Gaussian Noise box (a guesstimate after following the topic and tutorial), inserted the number of subs in the stack and left the rest as default . . . and Hey Presto! Much reduced fine-grained speckle in the background sky.  You must run this script on the linear stack for each channel (eg before you combine any R, G or B; straightforward for NB channels as not a colour channel) and I also did so before any DBE and cropping.

I've been following the thread on sub-length/number/SNR from Olly's Rosette post too.  My Rosette has 1200s subs . . . wonder if this length is an optimum?  Haven't carried out any analysis though.

On 8 February 2016 at 21:00, Barry-Wilson said:

Ha Ha LOL! Pixinsight can be like that I know!

This topic on the PI forum helped me, http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=9206.0.

Before reading this I hadn't dared take the plunge to experiment as it did look intimidating.  I inserted '0.5' into the Gain box (from the QSI website), inserted '10' into the Gaussian Noise box (a guesstimate after following the topic and tutorial), inserted the number of subs in the stack and left the rest as default . . . and Hey Presto! Much reduced fine-grained speckle in the background sky.  You must run this script on the linear stack for each channel (eg before you combine any R, G or B; straightforward for NB channels as not a colour channel) and I also did so before any DBE and cropping.

I've been following the thread on sub-length/number/SNR from Olly's Rosette post too.  My Rosette has 1200s subs . . . wonder if this length is an optimum?  Haven't carried out any analysis though.

Great image Barry.  Coincidentally I am capturing some Ha of the Rosette as I read your thread.  Regarding the PI script, do you run this on the stack without using a mask?

Steve

I've managed to capture a further hour of Ha and also an hour each of RG&B.  I think the best opportunity this year for a HaRGB image with the weather outlook.  I would really love to capture more but I fear it will be next year, but pleased nevertheless for my version to join the recent clutch of excellent Rosettes. Thanks for looking.

Hi res here, http://www.astrobin.com/237827/B/.

56be238919cb4_NGC2244Caldwell49RosetteNe

Archived