Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium 0.14.2 White box issue

Vega

Hi

Having just installed stellarium 0.14.2 on to my windows vista (eeek.. yes I know...) laptop, stellarium shows this annoying white boxed area on launch (screenshot below). I've tried everything to get rid of it to no avail... including running in Direct3D modes, debug mode, disabling plugins, replaceing all configuration files to original (via the installer), turning all the various viewing options off etc. Just cant get rid. Has anyone else come across this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

stellarium-capture.jpg

Have you tried changing the resolution of the PC (or if there is something related too resolution in Stellarium? Looks like it may be a resolution issue as it appears to be 16:9 as well.

No, I've tried various resolutions and made sure they match in the default_config.ini just incase too. Still no joy :\

The box happends to be the exact width and length of the two menu's both of which seem to be working fine in both axis, its just the whiteish grey background remains when the menu's hide back.

Ho hum...

Maybe try an older version of the software? (newest one may be buggy on an old OS) on the page it does note the oldest recommended OS for the newest version is windows 7.

Hi Vega.

It may be that your computer graphics card is not able to cope with the graphics, could it be something to do open GL? I suggest you use an older version of the software as someone mentioned before...

Regards,

Hadyn - IOM

How old is the laptop and what memory is available to the graphics. . If the graphics is handled by the main memory, rather than a proper graphics card and its own memory, it may need a bit more available to the graphics to run in. If  it is worth it to you, you may be able to upgrade the amount of memory.

Derek

• 4 weeks later...

I have this white box problem on my Dell Inspiron 6400 running Vista Business. The program used to work OK. Version is 0.14.2.

I also had version 0.14.0 in downloads from 2015 but this too exhibited the white box.

I downloaded StellariumPortable 0.11.2 and this works without the white box but it is slow and clunky and does not put a icon on the desktop or in the program list so it can be started only from the end of the installation! 

I suspect this does demonstrate the cause. We need an earlier version than 0.14.0

I wonder if Stellarium automatically applies updates?

Stellarium-0.13.0-MESA-Win32  Works without white box.

Archived