NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

January 30th, HAlpha, large detached prominence.

paulastro

Out from 9.15 to 9.30 this morning, clouded up after that.  It was mightily cold and windy - to be honest it's been clear off and on since then but I didn't want to go out again in the conditions on the off-chance of getting  a brief snatch of better seeing.  It's now snowing heavily as it has been for about 30 minutes. During my 15mts there was always some thin cloud, but beggars can't be choosers.

When I was inside I checked GONG a bit later and noticed the nice large 'semi-detached' prom that was on the SE of the limb yesterday had now lifted off.  I hadn't seen it through the viewfinder, but not surprising as it looked rather faint even on GONG and I had cloud interfering too.  It was just visible on two of my snaps, but I had to brighten the image considerably to get it to show up and this is the first pic below.  A bit over done, but it gives an idea what it was like.  Both images taken at 9.22am, Lunt 60mm DS, Olympus E-M5, 1000 asa, the first at 1/8 sec and the second at 1/15.

P1305669c.thumb.jpg.f34b672768766f9ad7f4P1305656b.thumb.jpg.69cf0ede94d4260ceff9

Shame about the conditions Paul, solar imaging is a testing hobby at this time of the year, still you captured all of the action.

I am lucky, my garage faces south, there is very little in front of me and the automatic door soon comes down to keep the snow/rain showers out, so I just leave my scope set up, sheltered from the wind ready for the next gap.

Robin

Archived