Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon Manual Lens Recommendations

I'm looking to do some wide field astrophotography with a modified Canon 1100D but I haven't got any lenses for it as I normally use it with a scope. The only mount I have currently is a Star Adventurer so I am thinking of using a lens of around 50 to 100mm or so in focal length  The camera no longer has the lens contacts so it has to be manual focus and manual aperture. I'm a Nikon user generally so am not familiar with Canon lenses. Does anyone have any lens recommendations that might suit please? I am after something relatively inexpensive too. 

Thanks.

Lee

Without the contacts it rules out most modern lenses very few if any have a manually adjustable Iris so the suggestion above of using old M42 lenses with an adapter is the way to go, if you felt realy flush and wanted new the Samyang range would work.

Alan

Be careful with an FD mount vintage lens it won't reach focus with a 1100d. These old Canon FD mount lenses will only reach infinity focus with a mirrorless camera like the EOS-m or other mirrorless dslrs.

Or by using an adaptor with optics in them.. the cheaper ones are invariably rather poor quality... When Canon switched from FD to EF they made their own adaptor but these are rarer than hens teeth...

Peter...

I have done the optics in adapter but it makes poor images. I have 4 FD lenses here I have played with that are a family member's.

Yes I have never seen that decent canon one for sale.

One lens is a Tamaron with an Adaptal II mount, which I removed and fitted a Tamrom to EOS adapter but it falls just short of reaching infinity focus as established when trying on the Moon as it is a long zoom.

But my Canon FD 35-75 makes a fun macro lens. Though very shadow dof.

Lee I have to ask a daft question but what happened to the camera contacts? I find that even when using my camera with a scope I still use a chipped adapter for getting accurate exposure with targets like the Moon and Planets.

Another manual lens format that will work with the Canon is the Olympus OM system.

Alan

Thanks for all the replies. Some food for thought there.

Perhaps Leebert can use some of the Nikon lenses with an adapter,  would that work ?

Unfortunately not as all my Nikon lenses have electronic irises. I need to use a completely manual lens.

Lee I have to ask a daft question but what happened to the camera contacts? I find that even when using my camera with a scope I still use a chipped adapter for getting accurate exposure with targets like the Moon and Planets.

Another manual lens format that will work with the Canon is the Olympus OM system.

Alan

Not a daft question at all. It's a JTW Ultimate modified and cooled 1100D. There are no contacts on it to use as they were removed during the modification process.

They don't make it anymore but it is similar to the modified 700D here: http://www.jtwastronomy.com/products/ultimate.html

Another recommendation for the Takumar M42 lenses here. Here's a recent shot taken with the 135mm SMC Takumar f2.5, comet Catalina passing M101. And here's the Cygnus region with the 50mm f1.4 shot at f4.

Good looking images there. Thanks for the links. The 50mm f1.4 looks good for the money.

Archived