Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Catalina Passing M101

Got up at 3:30 this morning to have a go at imaging comet Catalina while I could get it in frame with M101. Also, first legs for my astronomical longjohns, they did a good job keeping me warm.

24042570899_cfddc0702a_b.jpg

Shot it with my 135mm SMC Takumar lens at f3.4 (using a step-down ring as a front aperture mask) on my 1100D, using my EQ3-2 mount. Just 14 minutes of data in 2 minute subs, with 20 darks and 30 dark bias. Tried applying flats but they didn't work again, I'll experiment some more with this.

Here's a closer crop. The smudge above and to the right of M101 is another galaxy, NGC 5474 I think, a disrupted satellite of the Pinwheel.

24114778260_830f4a9dc0_b.jpg

Really glad I made the effort, the sky was beautiful this morning and this was my first proper session since October. Very pleased with my dinky Pinwheel Galaxy and comet, especially given the short imaging run and LP up here in Hertfordshire.

Archived