Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am committed now !!!!!

Skipper Billy

Todays progress ....

Managed to grab 10 mins of a clear enough gap between the clouds last night to polar align the pier and mark the position for the holes in the slab for the studs. 

It needs polar aligning roughly as the top part of the pier (which isnt fitted in the photos) only fits on one way round.

Holes drilled for the 450mm long 17mm studs

Dust and debris blown out of the holes - note to self - dont lean over the holes when the compressor nozzle is discharged down a hole 8-)

Holes 75% filled with construction epoxy - studs worked in - pier positioned over the studs - nuts and washers fitted to keep all the studs at the right height - excess squeezed out all cleaned off just as it sets - the difference between liquid and rock hard is less than 3 mins even at 4º !!!

Cleared up - stand back to admire handywork - pour large dram !

There wont be much more progress now for a week or so - back to work tomorrow but happy with what I have got done in the last 3 days.

Next step a couple more coats of paint to repair the scratches from installing it and to stop the galvanised studs, nuts and washers rusting.

The pier is 17mm thick walled high pressure steam pipe and flanges - filled with sand mixed with polyurethane - weighs 85kgs.

post-33941-0-13436700-1452006954_thumb.j

post-33941-0-21752800-1452006970_thumb.j

post-33941-0-29867500-1452006986_thumb.j

Edited by Skipper Billy

Sssshhhh Olly - I was going to use the buried sub as my warm room !!!!!  

Well spotted though - the metal tube and flanges were liberated from Faslane nuclear submarine naval base (legally and with permission !!) - complete with X rays that match the flange numbers to prove there are no internal cracks or fissures !!!! No wonder subs cost so much !!!

• Like 1

You might want to raise the pillar in future so I do not advise cutting the excess threads off. It would be a sod to cut out the threaded bars to replace at a later date. Denso can be got off very easily but rain cannot touch it. I have seen it on many ships in the worst weather you can imagine and it is solid. Some of the power companies use it on their bolts that hold down the wind turbines, it is also used on the bolts holding the very big road signs on motorways.

Derek

denso tape is good , it sticks like ( removed word ) to a blanket , use gloves as it will not come off with hand cleaner , got some on a joint in my cat5 cable out side for the last 3years , and we use it in the steel works , it gets a bit hot with red hot steel being rolled and high pressure water jets and it still stays put

Edited by lennylovit

You might want to raise the pillar in future so I do not advise cutting the excess threads off. It would be a sod to cut out the threaded bars to replace at a later date. Denso can be got off very easily but rain cannot touch it. I have seen it on many ships in the worst weather you can imagine and it is solid. Some of the power companies use it on their bolts that hold down the wind turbines, it is also used on the bolts holding the very big road signs on motorways.

Derek

Fair point!

• 2 weeks later...

A clear night last night !!!!  The obsy is nowhere near complete but the pier is bolted down so not wishing to waste a clear night I jury rigged the electronics and went for it.

I was very happy with the improvement in guiding (attached) and the Startech USB to CAT6 to USB extender worked sublimely - it all clattered away flawlessly for 5 hours until high cloud drifted in. Temp. down to -10º

I am really fired up now to get the obsy finished - it will be a massive step forward in terms of ease of use, comfort and performance.

post-33941-0-06768100-1452938390_thumb.j

• Like 5

A clear night last night !!!!  The obsy is nowhere near complete but the pier is bolted down so not wishing to waste a clear night I jury rigged the electronics and went for it.

I was very happy with the improvement in guiding (attached) and the Startech USB to CAT6 to USB extender worked sublimely - it all clattered away flawlessly for 5 hours until high cloud drifted in. Temp. down to -10º

I am really fired up now to get the obsy finished - it will be a massive step forward in terms of ease of use, comfort and performance.

attachicon.gifphd2.jpg

Wow that is some guide trace. Kudos!

It is nice when things come together. I am sure you will feel much better when it is all done and you can easily set everything going in a few minutes. If you are going to be out in your observatory for a while I would fit an intercom system!

Derek

The frame is now nearly finished - just the front to make and the roof - (ran out of wood !!! Its made from Maranti (hardwood) and all the joints are doweled, glued and screwed except for where the sides fasten together - they are just temporary fixings until its assembled on site.

post-33941-0-70070200-1453469106_thumb.j

Great idea and a great work so far

Id be interested in hearing more feedback about the CAT6 USB extender, would potentially solve a lot of my issues. Have you tried a USB Hub with it, ease of use, link for the one you bought etc

Cheers

Mav359  Its this one - http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/network-accessories-and-misc-networking/0004374189-00000001?utm_source=Google+Shopping&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Feed&src=000093&&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Feed-_-Feed-_-Feed&gclid=CKiav-jovcoCFSfnwgodZ5AP2w

I cant speak highly enough of it - just plug it in and it works - I have used it at 100 feet and no issues whatsoever - and thats with a 7 port powered USB hub plugged into one of its USB ports

OK - framework finished - ready for dismantling and taking home where it will be substantially bolted down to the concrete plinth and the weatherboarding fitted and the roof boarded and the capping strip made. I will post details of the capping strip / joint sealing method for the roof apex joint as several people have asked and its kind of important !!!

Opening - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZWYv2XRGIo

Roof closing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuiNVJ0X0Us

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been hampered by lousy weather - heavy rain and strong winds but managed to make a bit more progress over the last few days - 3 walls built - if the wind dies down enough to staple the membrane on the last wall it might get done this afternoon !!! (But its got a door in it and is more fiddly so I might put it off for another day!!)

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

• Like 2