Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do i configure Stellarium to my location?

Well the question says it all really. I'm not sure if it automatically sets itself to your location, how do you tell if it is? If it doesn't, how do you configure it? It doesn't tell you how to use it and what buttons to press. Sorry if this is a silly question  :help: Thanks,

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Press F6 function button on your keyboard.

Enter your Latitude, Longitude, Altitude (if known) and a location name and country.

Tick the box (bottom left) 'Use Current Location as Default'

Press F6 again.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Well the question says it all really. I'm not sure if it automatically sets itself to your location, how do you tell if it is? If it doesn't, how do you configure it? It doesn't tell you how to use it and what buttons to press. Sorry if this is a silly question  :help: Thanks,

For this exercise lets assume that you live in Hull. Launch Stellarium and press F6 to bring up the location window. To the right of the map you will see a list of locations and just below that a magnifying glass.Type Hull in the search box and Kingston upon Hull will be the top result. You can also use this site http://itouchmap.com/latlong.htmlto find your exact location and adjust the longitude and latitude coordinates in Stellarium

In the bottom left corner, it does say Earth followed by the longitude and latitude, and they are pretty close to the actual co-ordinates of where i am, and the time and date are spot on, so maybe it's already set, but can't work out why nothing happens when i press F5 or F6, all the other buttons respond as they should when i press them.

"When all else fails - read the instructions!" :p

And here they are in full - one is Wiki - due to the developer's adding new features almost daily - thus needing constant additions. And the Pdf. follows:

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

And the Pdf. is here:

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

Enjoy!

Dave

"When all else fails - read the instructions!" :p

And here they are in full - one is Wiki - due to the developer's adding new features almost daily - thus needing constant additions. And the Pdf. follows:

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

And the Pdf. is here:

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

Enjoy!

Dave

Cheers Dave!  :smiley:

Yep - don't forget to save the settings after you've changed them. I click the "save settings" button in the "main" configuration window accessed by clicking on the Spanner. I assume this is equivalent to F6 but if in just doubt use the spanner icon on the bottom left of screen. :)

Well, i have read the instructions and still nothing happens when i press any of the 'F' buttons, all the other keys seem to work as they should, i've even uninstalled and then re-installed Stellarium, guess i'm not going to be able to use this programme properley. Thanks for all the help with this guys. 

Well, i have read the instructions and still nothing happens when i press any of the 'F' buttons...

You have to enable keyboard navigation (in configuration) - is this a problem?

BTW F6 works fine for me, so it is not Stellarium problem...

You have to enable keyboard navigation (in configuration) - is this a problem?

BTW F6 works fine for me, so it is not Stellarium problem...

It doesn't ask me to enable keyboard navigation, but as i said, all the other keys work, it's just the 'F' keys that don't respond when i press them. Hopefully, I'll  get to the bottom of it before i get my telescope. 

Hover your mouse over the bottom left hand corner, you will see an L shaped bar.

In that L shaped bar you will see 2 triangles click on these, they will turn square and will keep all your icons visible.

Move up the LH row of icons and click on the top icon, this will open the location window, where you can set your location. Then close it.

Now move up the LH row of icons again and click on the spanner, you will open the configuration window, click on save settings.

You are now done.

Hover your mouse over the bottom left hand corner, you will see an L shaped bar.

In that L shaped bar you will see 2 triangles click on these, they will turn square and will keep all your icons visible.

Move up the LH row of icons and click on the top icon, this will open the location window, where you can set your location. Then close it.

Now move up the LH row of icons again and click on the spanner, you will open the configuration window, click on save settings.

You are now done.

Thanks for the advice, but this doesn't work either, the only F button that works is F11, no idea why the rest of them won't work!  :dontknow: I'm determined to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for the advice, but this doesn't work either, the only F button that works is F11, no idea why the rest of them won't work!  :dontknow: I'm determined to get to the bottom of this.

So your mouse does not work...???

Neptune38, I've just uploaded a quick (non-sound) video to my youtube channel showing how to change the location from where-ever it starts to either a pre-set town/city in the Stellarium database or if you have the o/s co-ords how to tweak the location that way.

You can watch it Here . Theres no sound as I REALLY hate the sound of my own voice (also i'm very self conscious and shy except in text :) hope this helps. anyway Its CLEAR SKIES!!! so i'm off out into the deepest darkest (ok rubbish light polluted) back garden to do some photography again YAY!!!!!!

OK your mouse works fine, can you explain what happens when you try what I suggested.

I've uninstalled it and now in the process of reinstalling it, will let you know when i've got back on.... fingers crossed!

On many modern keyboards the F# keys have alternate Fn modes for changing things like screen brightness and speaker volume. If this is the case there should be an Fn button (probably near the Windows key) that toggles the row between F# mode and Fn mode.

OK your mouse works fine, can you explain what happens when you try what I suggested.

Have reinstalled it and it's still the same. When i hover the mouse over the bottom left corner, i don't get a toolbar with the icons, like you're supposed to.

Neptune38, I've just uploaded a quick (non-sound) video to my youtube channel showing how to change the location from where-ever it starts to either a pre-set town/city in the Stellarium database or if you have the o/s co-ords how to tweak the location that way.

You can watch it Here . Theres no sound as I REALLY hate the sound of my own voice (also i'm very self conscious and shy except in text :) hope this helps. anyway Its CLEAR SKIES!!! so i'm off out into the deepest darkest (ok rubbish light polluted) back garden to do some photography again YAY!!!!!!

Thanks Eri, but the problem is, i can't get that window to appear at all, no matter what i do. 

Archived