Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do i configure Stellarium to my location?

On many modern keyboards the F# keys have alternate Fn modes for changing things like screen brightness and speaker volume. If this is the case there should be an Fn button (probably near the Windows key) that toggles the row between F# mode and Fn mode.

When i press the fn button, it puts my laptop into sleep mode, thanks for the suggestion though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you hover right in the bottom left corner in Stellarium - there's what I can only describe as a tiny "L" shaped icon with a left pointing arrow on the side and an up pointing arrow on the bottom. Click either arrow once to switch the toolbar on and it slides into view. Click again and it switches off, gliding out of view. It's kinda like a toolbar for a toolbar if you get my drift.

I have both switched on permanently or I forget they're there lol. Hth :)

Woops - just realised I duplicated and earlier post by trazor.

If you hover right in the bottom left corner in Stellarium - there's what I can only describe as a tiny "L" shaped icon with a left pointing arrow on the side and an up pointing arrow on the bottom. Click either arrow once to switch the toolbar on and it slides into view. Click again and it switches off, gliding out of view. It's kinda like a toolbar for a toolbar if you get my drift.

I have both switched on permanently or I forget they're there lol. Hth :)

Woops - just realised I duplicated and earlier post by trazor.

When i hover the mouse over the bottom left corner, i don't get a toolbar with the icons, like you're supposed to, nothing happens at all.

"When i hover the mouse over the bottom left corner, i don't get a toolbar with the icons, like you're supposed to, nothing happens at all."

Yes - but do you get the little "L" shaped icon right in the corner? It contains the switches that turn the toolbar on/off. It's pretty small but it should be there. If you see it then just click once on the tiny arrow and the toolbar should slide into view. There's a tiny arrow for each of the horizontal and the vertical toolbars. :)

Do you, per chance, have a pop-up blocker? Or other security-type software? If yes - disable same and then see if you get the lower-left-corner toolbar that should appear.

Keep us informed, please.

Dave

p.s. - don't forget to turn your security system(s) back on.

I have set it to allow pop ups for Stellarium, but still no joy, i do have internet security but don't really like to switch that off, all my other keys work,  :dontknow:

"When i hover the mouse over the bottom left corner, i don't get a toolbar with the icons, like you're supposed to, nothing happens at all."

Yes - but do you get the little "L" shaped icon right in the corner? It contains the switches that turn the toolbar on/off. It's pretty small but it should be there. If you see it then just click once on the tiny arrow and the toolbar should slide into view. There's a tiny arrow for each of the horizontal and the vertical toolbars. :)

Hi, no, i don't get a little 'L' shape in the corner either, i'm stumped now! Still, got plenty of time to sort it before i get my telescope.

Hmmmmm.... no "L" shaped icon in the corner..... Do you have the window full screen when Stellarium starts up? And does your screen fit perfectly top to bottom and side to side (using the monitor control buttons). A screenshot might help as trazor says above. Also - which version do you have of Stellarium? I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this - it'll probably be something dead simple in the end. :)

I just ran Stellarium on a W10/Intel graphics machine and I don't get the toolbar icons appearing either. Last week when the machine still had an Nvidia card everything worked perfectly. The toolbar is still there but for some reason the buttons aren't rendering. Hovering over the buttons near (but not exactly on) the screen edge will show the tooltip for the invisible button you are hovering over making it possible, but not ideal, to use. For what it's worth pressing F6 doesn't do anything either. This might be the same bug that the OP is experiencing.

If you have a pendrive you could try and run the PortableApps version off it. If it runs properly you should be able to make a directory on the hard drive and run it from there.

http://portableapps.com/apps/education/stellarium_portable

‘Legacy Mode: Older PCs and PCs with lower-end graphics chipsets may need to set Stellarium to run in software rendering mode. This can be accomplished by copying the AppNamePortable.ini file from the StellariumPortable\Other\Source directory to the StellariumPortable directory, renaming it to StellariumPortable.ini and then editing the file so that the first line reads AdditionalParameters=--angle-mode and then saving.’ ~ PortableApps

If Stellarium portable runs you can make a new folder on the local disc C drive and copy/paste the portable Stellarium into it. I do this with PDF-XC, Fotografix and QupZilla (shown below in Win 7x64). 

shot1_zpsbxvwih8s.jpg

To run a portable app from the directory just open the folder and click on its icon. You can even make a shortcut to desktop and open it with that. I actually ran Stellarium on a Vista laptop from a directory for years. In fact, a relative of mine still uses that laptop and the Stellarium version on it.

Failing that check whether your laptop supports Open GL, as I think that may be the problem.

There's a link to problems and solutions on the Stellarium website itself. Worth taking a look through to see if this problem has been addressed before. I'd imagine it most likely has. Here's two links to problems/solutions:

https://answers.launchpad.net/stellarium

https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium

Alexander Wolf is a member here - he's one of the developers of Stellarium. Perhaps you can drop him a note in pm (private messenger) from here? Look him up in the membership-list. If this is a new bug, I'm sure they'd like to hear about it. This is why the newest instructions are in Wiki - they are always fixing something and adding something.

Please keep us informed - this is quite strange.

Dave

I've just tested this on another Windows/Intel graphics PC and the result is the same. The toolbar buttons are not rendered. In addition the pop up configuration windows are not rendered either, which is why F6 appears not to work.

Intel HD Graphic

Intel HD (core-i) vs Intel (core-2) being the difference here. Anyway, looking at the Stellarium FAQ gives enough information that I have solved it for my faulty installation, hopefully this will also help the OP.

1. If you have installed the 65-bit version of Stellarium uninstall it
  2. Install the 32-bit version of Stellarium. Do not choose to launch once installation is complete.
  3. Open the windows menu and find the Stellarium folder under all programs/apps. There are now several different versions available to run. The one that works for me is ANGLE - Direct3D 9

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice and suggestions, will look into it properly at the weekend, as i don't have time over the next couple of days, withworking. I will post again when i've done some digging on this, hoping to get to the bottom of this before i get my scope on monday.

Archived