Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from London...

DevonPaul

Hi all......

Greetings from London  ( yes, I know I called myself 'DevonPaul'  - I'll get onto that in a second ).. 

Always been interested in looking at the stars and planets, as is my 9 year old daughter, therefore taken the plunge and after plenty of research online just brought a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian as a Christmas present  for myself which I'll be taking to our house in Devon ( right on the North coast of Devon and Exmoor - some lovely dark and clear nights ! ).  

Wife has said I'm not allowed to play with it before Christmas though :-(

Hopefully looking to get plenty of use out of it in the week between Christmas and New Year and joining in some of the events that happen across Devon and Exmoor ( and I've noticed a good size representation of people from that area on this forum  ! ) .. 

Given that it's nearly Christmas and people are asking me what I want for presents, are there any reasonably priced  ( around £20-£30 ) bits'n'bobs you think would be useful for us to have ???    ( I have brought a laser collminator and Moon filter already  ) ...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, will certainly need one of these..  Although we're about 300ft up a cliff next to the Bristol Channel and have great view to the North and West, we're have hills to the other 2 sides that block our views in those direction...

Btw, I am jealous at your location. Always loved North Devon coast and had many a happy holiday in the Croyde Bay area.

I know it well, we have some close firneds that live there..  It's about 30 minutes from us :-)

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Warm clothing might be useful as you spent a lot of time outside! And clear skies mean cold temperatures in the winter. My experience is that you have to keep the kids warm as the lose interest very quickly when they get cold.

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Warm clothing might be useful as you spent a lot of time outside! And clear skies mean cold temperatures in the winter. My experience is that you have to keep the kids warm as the lose interest very quickly when they get cold.

Thankfully most of the time the telescope will be on the balcony outside the bedroom in our house, if it gets too cold I can pop inside and warm my feet by the open fire ! 

Hi Paul and welcome to SGL, you and your Daughter can look forward to some rewarding views of the night sky with your, " don`t open till Christmas 200P " Whilst you are in the big city, it should be worth your while to look up The "Baker street irregulars Astro Soc" who meet in Regents Park on a regular basis, look up their website for meet time details. Enjoy the forum :)

Archived