NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which scope

When we have a medley of 'scopes we can get attached to them, which can make it difficult to part with any of them. Each instrument leaves us with a memory of having observed with it, so it has a personal emotive value to us.

It's like a sultan with an overcrowded harem having to decide who should stay and who should go, and If he takes too long to decide, he can  end up with a collection of toothless hags!

I've pondered many times on which of my ten 'scopes ( mostly small refractors, some purchased for a song on flea-markets and upgraded ) I should discard, but I cling to them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd sell the ones you have and get a used SW 80ED and a 150mm f6 newt. That way you have the best of most worlds and that 150mm f6 itch that you've had for a while will finally be scratched

As Peter says, you can always sell and buy back if you regret selling them.

Hi Jules, earlier you said

"Main interest is Luna imaging and observing with 1000D and spc 900, then planetary observing followed by a little DSO observing, i have dipped a tiny toe in the DSO imaging, this makes me think i could manage well with keeping the 150 pro and the 130 pds this would cover  lot of bases"

Would a C8 would cover all the options - it would certainly outperform all your current scopes and fit on your AZ4 and EQ5 ??

Hi Jules, earlier you said

"Main interest is Luna imaging and observing with 1000D and spc 900, then planetary observing followed by a little DSO observing, i have dipped a tiny toe in the DSO imaging, this makes me think i could manage well with keeping the 150 pro and the 130 pds this would cover  lot of bases"

Would a C8 would cover all the options - it would certainly outperform all your current scopes and fit on your AZ4 and EQ5 ??

Nice idea David but i dont like SCT`s, just my opinion but i feel they suffer a bit of a lack of contrast

Hi Jules,

I've had the privilege of reading many of your posts over the past few years, and of meeting you in person on one occasion - to hand over a Tal 100RS!

If I may say so, it seems to me that you lean towards a "heart rules head" approach (I know I do), and if you sell your beloved Tal, I predict you will be on the forums within a month wishing you hadn't sold it (again, I speak from personal experience).

I personally wouldn't see much point or benefit in moving from a good 100mm Frac like your Tal to a Newt of "only" 6" aperture at F6. I don't think the gains would be worth the arguably poorer stellar views (with diffraction spikes, less tight airy disks etc etc). If it was an F8 or longer Newt it might be different, but then you may as well go the whole hog and get an 8" F6 newt which really would  offer you a very noticeable difference in light grasp. That, to me, would be a head over heart approach.

I think a good compromise would be to keep the Tal (for what you would get for it), keep the TS 80 which sounds like a great grab n go scope, and then consider a 6" F8 newt for great planetary colour free views, or an 8" F6 newt as a great all rounder (but I think you have discounted that already).

One other option to consider. Buy Chris Locks' Bresser AR127L 5" F9.5 frac, currently for sale on this forum - I love mine, and a 5" decent achromat is a really good all round scope - as an ex multiple Tal 100 owner, I genuinely think the Bresser runs rings around the Tal, mainly due to the increased aperture, with very similar CA levels, ie not bad at all. Razor sharp optics too.

And, much as your VT orthos in your sig are great eyepieces, try some Maxvision or ES units for wider field, the views through my AR127l with an ES 34mm 68 are out of this world (!)

Good luck to you whatever you decide Jules :smiley:

Dave

Dave, thanks for the reply, re the AR 127L i have considered them in the past but always rule them out, for some reason i dont feel its a scope i want to own

Re eyepieces i am still more than happy with the VT ortho`s, i did own a nice Maxvision 16mm but ended up letting it go

200 newt is a full no go, one thing i can say , i wont rush into a decision

Hi Jules,

I have to say I do keep reading this thread with interest and a big part of me just doesn't get the newt route, with respect to what it offers on lunar imaging and viewing, is it going to be better over the 150mak? and I doubt it would bring you as much joy as the Tal either..!  I Like Mr F15rules I have had the pleasure of your company, once in a rainy Ingleton, but you speak of the Tal with such unreserved joyful enthusiasm it has to be a mistake to think of letting it go..

Is it fair to (I have no experience of this so feel free to correct me anyone!) say that lunar imaging should be covered with the Tal and 150mak, the Tal also offers some DSO viewing as does the 80mm... Heck even the 150mak would offer DSO on the less extended objects..

What my mind keeps questioning is, and it's sort of been touched on already, what about trade in on the 130PDS and 80mm achro for a small faster ED scope 70-80mm, that gives you portability, wider imaging, lighter on the mount, you can use focal extenders for higher mags....

It's just a thought..

Oh and if you want, going back to the comment on your EP's, we spoke of that too... Happy to call over with the SLV's and ES82 if you want to have a session... I've also got a little 72mmED if you wanted to do some imaging....

Don't know of that helps in anyway, hope you find your answers..

Ta

Fozzie

I have been doing a lot of thinking and with the help of lots of very helpful posts on this thread, i think i will keep what i have got, even if each scope only gets used a few times each year.

The Tal is a long standing faithful night sky companion that has, and still does give me wow factor on a good night :cool: 

The 150 pro IS a superb planet and Luna scope  but can do some very good basic DSO observing, M42 is a fantastic sight with this :cool:

The 130p DS is a proven DSO imaging scope, and i will be dipping a toe in this section as and when i get time

The TS 80 has proven to be far better than i had hoped with rather nice optics for such a small price tag

Thanks for all the input, and putting up with my senile musings yet again

Much relieved Jules, you had me worried for a while. "Senile musings" I doubt, taking stock of our situation though is on the whole I think a healthy thing, perhaps even a sign of mature wisdom, as long as its not done too often! Continue to enjoy your scopes and lets hope we get some useful skies soon.

Good to hear Jules,can't imagine you without your comrade Talski!

Totally understand why you would think about all this though..this is the worst spell of end to end night cloud we have had here for months and months and its awful when our gear just has to sit there, waiting forlornly for some clear sky to look at..

Let's hope the year's end brings some cold crisp clear nights before long!

Dave

Archived