Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mr Bond, I presume?

Drop Of Sun

Hi everyone,

Some images from 31st Oct with my 8 inch SCT. I was hoping to get another session in since then but the weather is not been very cooperative. Thanks for looking!

22013492794_e02850be96_o.jpg

Janssen, Fabricius and Metius

22643882045_72f51b579b_o.jpg

Taruntius

22668825641_4c061827e0_o.jpg

Franklin

22691075906_69e1aa930c_o.jpg

Gartner

22810295681_9606d77e34_o.jpg

Aristoteles and Eudoxus

22788720422_3571f6a91b_o.jpg

Maraldi D Ghost Crater

22878728082_9842e10e19_o.jpg

W Bond

---

31st October, 2015

Celestron Edge 8, Grasshopper 3 (ICX687), 1.6x Barlow, Red Longpass filter

A very nice set of clear lunar images there Bond, looks like you had a productive session.

I've never heard of the USB3 Vision Point Grey Grasshopper imager and had to look it up. Something to keep my eye on but can't find any listed prices for them yet.

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Aussie Dave, I got my Grasshopper camera over two years ago and price was a bit over £1,000. Very pricey camera but it's quite popular for solar h-alpha imaging, which is the main reason why I got it. Right now I don't think I'd spend that much again, there are some really great cameras around at much less cost!

David, for some reason, I thought you already did plenty of lunar imaging?!

David, for some reason, I thought you already did plenty of lunar imaging?!

No, my recent efforts (all 2 of them) have been my first serious attempt at Lunar imaging. I did do some DSLR images back a couple of years but nothing since.

I am now one of those people who thinks "oh, clear sky but no Moon to image" after spending years think the Moon was just another source of light pollution :grin:

No, my recent efforts (all 2 of them) have been my first serious attempt at Lunar imaging. I did do some DSLR images back a couple of years but nothing since.

I am now one of those people who thinks "oh, clear sky but no Moon to image" after spending years think the Moon was just another source of light pollution :grin:

:grin:

I love solar most of all but found lunar really addictive too! And nice that when the sun gets low in winter, the moon rises high  :laugh: Look forward to seeing more of your lunar pics.

Aussie Dave, I got my Grasshopper camera over two years ago and price was a bit over £1,000. Very pricey camera but it's quite popular for solar h-alpha imaging, which is the main reason why I got it. Right now I don't think I'd spend that much again, there are some really great cameras around at much less cost!

Wow, I can't see myself spending that much yet, if at all. I'm going to see what I can achieve with a cheap webcam first for Lunar and decide from there. There's so many different brands out there to choose from and some of the cameras specs I'm not familiar with.

I guess at the end of the day, like everything, you get what you pay for. Your imager certainly delivers the goods.

Wow, I can't see myself spending that much yet, if at all. I'm going to see what I can achieve with a cheap webcam first for Lunar and decide from there. There's so many different brands out there to choose from and some of the cameras specs I'm not familiar with.

I guess at the end of the day, like everything, you get what you pay for. Your imager certainly delivers the goods.

There are some seriously good cams at around 1/5th the cost of the Grasshopper including from Point Grey and ZWO! For me one of the things I like about my Grasshopper is that it's a CCD and I don't tend to get any problems with Newton's Rings for solar h-alpha imaging (these rings are circular bands you can sometimes see in h-alpha imges, something to do with interference patterns on glass surfaces).

For lunar you don't get that problem, I'd go for a more affordable CMOS, which may have a much faster frame rate too! I started with the Philips SCP900, nice little cam for the money, I still have it somewhere. I did struggle with it for solar h-alpha but lunar/planets was better.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking around on the second hand market for one, missed out on a couple only becuase I don't know much about them, they sold quick. They were still in the hundreds of $'s though which put me off.

Would just like to get some decent lunar shots first, then move on to a couple of planets and M42. I've already had 4 failed attempts at M42 so I think that's next on the list.

Not sure if I'll get in to solar imaging but I do have a solar film filter for one of my 8" scopes which I still haven't tested. I know that if I do some solar visual, I'll get hooked on that and get side tracked!

Archived