SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

24mm Panoptic oh yeah!

Moonshane

I had a 24mm Panoptic a few years ago and really liked it but for one reason and another (I think to fund another scope or eyepiece) I sold it and have always regretted doing so. I had until recently a 32mm and 25mm TV Plossl and decided to sell/consolidate these two eyepieces in one with the 24mm Panoptic which gives the same largest 1.25" field as the 32mm and the same smaller exit pupil and darker sky advantage of the 25mm focal length.

Whilst I will of course use it generally, I mainly hope it will perform the function of widest field in my compact campervan package with the 80mm f6 apo. It gives a magnification of 20x, exit pupil of 4mm and field of just under 3.5 degrees which is all perfect for cruising around the Milky Way at dark sites.

Thanks to DRT (Derek) who contacted me with a literally brand new unit, I now have this little gem in my fold again. In fact I am considering a subtle change in my set up replacing my 20mm and 15mm plossls for Panoptics of 19mm and 15mm eventually. This will provide a lighter group for my fracs than the Delos and Naglers and which will allow balancing to be maintained more regularly.

Thanks to Derek again for getting in touch! I won't be letting this escape my clutches again :0)

I don't suppose there's any chance I can have it back then, Shane? :rolleyes::lol:

Enjoy it, mate - your enthusiasm for having it has eliminated the disappointment of the fact that it didn't do what I wanted it to do for me in my solar scope.

But I'll be wanting a look through it at SGL XI :wink:

Nice one Shane. They really are lovely little eyepieces, compact but with gorgeous views. I have one in my travel kit and often it is the only eyepiece I use!

EDIT For solar, plossls or orthos normal give a better view than wider field eps

I'm pleased that you managed to get another 24mm Panoptic Shane - they are lovely eyepieces :smiley:

The 24mm Pan was one of the 1st top end eyepieces that I owned. As well as it's performance I really liked it's shape - like a really fat version of the "volcano top" ortho.

Congratulations on the new 24mm Panoptic Shane, a great eyepiece and in my view for fast scopes much better than the other offerings on the market. I only have the one now as I was going to do the binos viewer thing but forgot to buy the part they fit into while in England, still I remember the case full of other TV's.

Alan

I must admit I have also been considering ditching the 32mm & 25mm Plossls's for the 24mm Panoptic.  My only hesitation is the gut feeling of it not performing as well as the 25mm in the Ha Solar scopes sweet spot.  I am sure its great & would love to 'borrow' one for 10 minutes :) 

The 24mm Panoptic is my favourite eyepiece. Even better when you use a pair of them in a binoviewer !

I get great low power views with them - 38x with my 5" refractor & Mk Vs with a 1.7 deg FOV

I'm led to believe they are Televue's best ever selling eyepiece. That says a lot about them in itself.

We have the legendary designer Paul Dellechiaie to thank for them.

As for the Pan 15s : they never had such a good reputation.

You may struggle to find one in the UK at all. Possibly a better bet would be to post a wanted ad over on the CN forum.

If you find one i'd be interested in your thoughts......i did think about them for a binoviewing pair a couple of years ago, as i love the 19s and 24s.

Archived