Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uranometria 2000 Deep Sky Guide?

Mike73

+ 1 for starting out with the Cambridge Star Atlas for planning sessions.

BUT. The atlas version of apature fever soon kicks in.......

Paulpost-32768-0-86239700-1444214019_thumb.j

Having the detailed object info in a separate book is really helpfull (volume 3).

Paul

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Having all three volumes, makes Dob observing near the zenith so so much easier.......

Alas. It is a luxury item from a bygone age. I still have a study full of real books, so would love to say that it makes sense. But sadly, the only way of making this much data accessible, is electronically.

For visual work, with all but the largest scopes, Interstellarum is the only paper atlas in town... The Cambridge Star atlas is like a little budget version of Interstellarum and well worth the money.

Paul

I've sold my All Sky Edition and the Deep Sky Field Guide that went with it. They are fantastically produced detailed resources but I found that I was hardly ever using them so they deserved to be owned by someone who would more regularly need that level of coverage. Probably more a comment on my observing style than the quality of Uranometria :rolleyes2:

I held onto Interstellarium for a little longer but let that one go eventually as well. I'm just a "Sky Tourist" really ...... :smiley:

Mm.. interesting. I use stellarium on my tablet, and time to time sky and telescope pocket star atlas.

I like atlases, but I've always been concerned with their practical use in the field. A large one requires a table...

For indoor consultation they can be valuable, but one can also use a software for it. 

Pros and cons I would say...

I use the Pocket Star Atlas extensively and also Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel and charts picked up from the web. I have the Cambridge Double Star Atlas as well but don't seem to use that much :dontknow:

I have the Uranometria series but hardly use them preferring the Interstellarum atlas. I take both the Interstellarum and the Sky and Telescope Pocket atlas in the field held in a large plastic box. I don't use a table but a large music stand. 

When I want to star hop to a certain DSO I simply place the atlas on the music stand which is nearly head height - so easy to read at that level.

13 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I have the Uranometria series but hardly use them preferring the Interstellarum atlas. I take both the Interstellarum and the Sky and Telescope Pocket atlas in the field held in a large plastic box. I don't use a table but a large music stand. 

When I want to star hop to a certain DSO I simply place the atlas on the music stand which is nearly head height - so easy to read at that level.

A music stand is an ingenious idea! Might have to borrow that! :thumbsup:

I too really like the Interstellarum atlas + deep sky guide.  Have never seen Uranomeria books, but have read so many recommendations.  If I ever get a really big dob... ! ;)

I stopped using books in the field since I discovered sky safari but I still get my maps out often, including uranometria, to plan sessions and also I'll look up objects as I read about them and this helps to build my knowledge of whats where.

7 hours ago, niallk said:

I used to use Sky Safari at the scope in night vision mode, min screen brightness, but try to avoid it now to best preserve dark adaption.

Absolutely, that's why I attached a red film on the screen. 

That cuts off the unwanted light really well. You can even get a basic red sheet on Amazon for less than £2 and attach it with some tape.

I have a cheap tablet bought for astronomy exclusively, so the red screen stays in place all the time.

3 hours ago, Piero said:

Absolutely, that's why I attached a red film on the screen. 

That cuts off the unwanted light really well. You can even get a basic red sheet on Amazon for less than £2 and attach it with some tape.

I have a cheap tablet bought for astronomy exclusively, so the red screen stays in place all the time.

Sounds like a nice setup :thumbsup:  Yes I should get some film to try it out!

Archived