Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The sky is broken!

Glad you got a good reaction to Saturn CB,if you didn't then there's no hope for her or shes as blind as a bat and i am watching 3 of them flying round my garden right now and the stars are starting to multiply,think i'll go and set up.

Got to see Mercury from the top of Richmond Hill ealrier. It meant that it was above all the London gunk.

I can now say I have seen Mercury twice in one year.

The transparancy & seeing were both very poor tonight, my snapshot taken from the top of the Hill will show you why the transparency is so poor and it isn't due to cloud...............

Cheers

Ian

Kaptain,

I noticed a strange optical aberration yesterday. It was sunny and clear so I decided to partake in a black sheep energy drink whilst waiting for the shy to darken. Well it tasted so nice I must have had one or two more. By 10pm when it was getting dark everything was blurred! Worse the back door had locked itself and my wife could not hear me shouting for help! I woke up a little dehydrated ...

Geoff

I had the same, although last night I was knackered from the previous two nights staying up all night, that I was almost comatose. The previous night it did clear quite nicely some way into the night, at around 2.30am. Trouble is it gets light again at around 4am, so the window is small.

I was surprised a few nights ago to watch, before my very eyes, the dew on the tub cover turning to frost, like a creeping layer of white, most peculiar!!

Let's hope the fix the sky soon anyroad, who do we need to speak to?

TJ

I've just come in after an hour. Seeing is pants, the most I could split anything was about 5 arcseconds and then that was pretty grim. However I managed to see the Cat's Eye tonight for the first time, so I did get a result of sorts. Plenty of globs around, I also had a look at Leo to laughingly see if I could see any of the galaxies in there. Didn't see a single one, well I might have seen one with a huge leap of faith. Although having said that I did actually get some averted vision detail on M51. Well, you could see it was galaxy shaped with a knobbly bit at one end. I think. Using extra averted vision.

Well, I spent a bit of time tonight, collimating the LX90. I just used a medium power to get it close, then I spent some time looking at the crescent moon at low power. High mag just accentuated the boiling, so I stayed low. Very pleasant it was too, great detail from terminator to limb, with earthshine clearly visible nightside. I moved to Saturn via the goto, but a mile off, some work to do there too.

However Saturn was infinitely better than last night, and that is probably due more to the better collimation, than the seeing. The planet sharpened quite nicely at intervals between 5 and 20 seconds.

I saw ring shadow, a hint of banding that could have been imagination, no Cassini though. I curtailed the session as the wind was gusting into the Obs, and getting on my nerves, so I commanded the scope to park itself, and it disobeyed that order also. I am going to have my work cut out getting this beast to do as it's told. :angry: Never mind, at least progress is being made, and I can hopefully get all the add ons fitted, and crack on with some imaging.

Ron. :(

My sky is lovely and clear and unfortunately still sky blueish,i can see the lovely crescent moon and about 10 stars,oh these long summer days are such a joy :angry:

I saw a program with Gryff Rhys Jones climbing some mountains in Scotland one was as far North as you can go. The night sky they caught on camera was really impressive. It made me think of you as you live as far North on the British mainland as you can. I would love to see some skies like that. My sister has moved from Dundee to the Isle of Lewis I bet the skies are awesome there.

Regards

Kevin

The midlands weather forecaster announced a fine night for star gazing the other day. Must be joking there was a sort of hazy fug in the sky. Clear but hardly any stars to see at all - just 3 or 4. The haze was well lit by street lights too. I'm still waiting to get my new megrez 110 and mount out and have had it since just after Xmas. Not much better in Pembrokeshire either. Each time I've looked out to check the skies have been at the point of clouding over.

John

I've just come in after an hour. Seeing is pants, the most I could split anything was about 5 arcseconds and then that was pretty grim. However I managed to see the Cat's Eye tonight for the first time,

I saw it too. Seen it loads of times. Then I fed her and went to bed :angry:

Andrew

Archived