Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary nebula observing

Helix

Just some planetary observing. It was enjoyable night. Autumn season is opened now :).

I leave my report with you and I opened for all sorts of comments. If you have any ideas how to improve my spreadsheet, please, let me know. I like to gather all ideas :))))

TJ :)

post-36038-0-38380900-1441700144_thumb.j

Very good report TJ your observing log looks very professional.

Very nice haul!

Very good report TJ your observing log looks very professional.

Thanks, Mark, Michael. I am trying to find my way how to record, compare and filter my observing session. I want to create my flexible Data Base where I can extract some information and work with it.

Well! I like complicate things :)

Looks like a good night. The PN's don't get enough attention!

Re the spreadsheet. I would have the mag as a single numerical entry so that you can sort on it. And possibly a column for the common name (I can never remember the correct NGC number and as your database grows, searching through the text gets harder).

Paul

Looks like a good night. The PN's don't get enough attention!

Re the spreadsheet. I would have the mag as a single numerical entry so that you can sort on it. And possibly a column for the common name (I can never remember the correct NGC number and as your database grows, searching through the text gets harder).

Paul

Thank you, Paul

I will take your advice on board, especially about the mag :)

Very nice Log. I tend to include the conditions in my log. Such as seeing, transparency, temperature and general weather such as wind etc.

I do agree. Weather condition should be included. And it is included in my log. I had to hide it, including surface brightness, central star mag and so on, due to limited space on the forum. But it is good to know what people would include. I am still working on improving my tables and opened for any ideas :)

Thanks a lot for suggestion and nice comment :)

Nice report, Helix :)

I agree about including the weather conditions as these are observation specific.

Regarding additional object information, such as mag, SB, just consider that you will have to insert the same information each time for consistency. This will take some search every time.

I would have these information in a separate list, but that's only my opinion.

Piero

Nice report, Helix :)

I agree about including the weather conditions as these are observation specific.

Regarding additional object information, such as mag, SB, just consider that you will have to insert the same information each time for consistency. This will take some search every time.

I would have these information in a separate list, but that's only my opinion.

Piero

I agree. I come to conclusion that mag, SB, CSB etc should go on separate sheet otherwise I will loose simplicity and overcomplicate my tables. It is all learning curve :).

Thanks for practical advice.

Howdy all;

I keep my "typed in" observations in plain ASCII text so I can cut and paste them into any other program (Word, Online, Power Point, like that).  The one thing that I add to your info is the site where I was observing.  Other than that, a great report and an excellent way to organize what you see. 

NGC 6818 6" f/6 Mak-Newt Flatiron site Seeing+Transparency=6/10   6.7mm eyepiece  bright, small, elongated 1.5X1 in PA 90.  The central star is seen 10% of the time.  Averted vision does not make it larger.  Gray in color.

NGC 6818 6" f/8 Antennas site  S+T=7 14mm bright, small, round, very light green disk.  6.7mm central star not seen, disk is now elongated 1.2X1, averted vision makes it a little larger.

NGC 6818 Nexstar 11 Flatiron S+T=6  8.8mm  A nice view of the CBS eye effect, but there is no central star to complete the illusion.  The markings are low contrast.  The 22mm eyepiece shows it as pretty bright, pretty large (for a planetary) elongated 1.2X1 and not brighter in the middle.  At this lower power-125X-it is a light aqua color.  There are three pretty faint stars around the nebula.

Clear skies;

Steve Coe

Howdy all;

I keep my "typed in" observations in plain ASCII text so I can cut and paste them into any other program (Word, Online, Power Point, like that).  The one thing that I add to your info is the site where I was observing.  Other than that, a great report and an excellent way to organize what you see. 

Thanks Steve,

Nice report about 6818. The site is added :)

Archived