SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Zhumell Z10 Dob Review and First Light

All I can say is, "Wow." The first night my scope got in, it was the most clear it had been in at least a week. I had to go out and buy batteries for the laser collimator that came with the kit. Despite reviews all stating that the laser that came with the kit was poor quality and needed quite a bit of collimation right out of the box, that wasn't the case for me. It was as perfect as perfect gets. After all the fun stages of collimation, I got her all set up. First light was the moon. I thought I blinded myself at first after looking through my 14mm ep without any ND filter. I promptly put it on, but the amount of light this new scope gets compared to my old 5 inch is crazy. I did double aperture after all. The scope moved around and everything worked like a charm. Couldn't be happier with the scope and all of it's add-ons for the price. It took some practice to get aiming with it. After about 20-25 mins of bigger targets, I was able to find M21, the Sagittarius Star Cloud, Albireo, I split Alcor for the first time... (I had no idea that there was a double in the Mizar/Alcor pair except themselves.) I also got to see the ring nebula for the first time ever!! So far, I love the scope, it's an amazing deal, and I would purchase it again if I had to. I can't wait to get it out again. :) Such an amazing scope someone like me who is moving up to intermediate stages of observing and ready for more DSO challenges. Clear Skies.

Great report and glad you're enjoying. I think Zhummell is Revelation in the UK, sold by Telescope House / BC&F mainly. I used a downloaded PDF of the Zhummell z12 to assemble my Revelation 12 and the parts were identical. Made by GSO in China and fantastic scopes for the money.

A modification you might wish to make is to replace the collimating springs with some from Bob's Knobs. The stock springs are a little on the limp side and so don't hold colimation as well as you'd hope. Many have recommended that to me and I now just need to push the button and order!

Enjoy your scope and do post more updates as you get used to it.

Paul

Great report and congrats! I'm sure it will give you many years of wonderful views like my 10" has - I think they are a fantastic buy :) Gradually over the years I bought accessories that just kept unlocking more and more potential in the scope - so much to see. Enjoy!!

Very nice ! Easy to collimate by sticking your collimated laser into a Barlow. This is an ace method, accounting for slop in the focuser.

You should end up with a reflection of the primary centre spot, just slightly adjust the primary to get it spot on.

"Bobs knobs " springs certainly hold the primary , secondary hand bolts make adjustment easy, enjoy !

Nick.

I'm in love with this scope. I'm actually restarting my Messier count and starting all over again. I'm at 6/110 at this point. You guys help keep me motivated and loving this, even in the long dry periods of no clear skies or no time thanks to the evil thing we call work. Clear skies to you all. :-)

Archived