Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew shield

As the nights are getting colder now and Dew is beginning to become a problem again I'm looking into getting d Dew shield. The problem is, which one do I need?

I've been looking on FLO but there's alot of them so of one of you nice people could point out the one I need I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have a skywatcher 200p

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you drop FLO an email stating the outer circumference of your scope at the objective end then they should be able to tell you which one is suitable for your 200p. They didn't have one in stock to fit my Intes Mak so had to ordered me one in from the suppliers. Another classic example of FLO's awesome customer service  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

You could save a lot of money by getting a black camping mat for a fiver and cutting a dew shield out to fit. Strap it up with duct tape and fix to the scope with a long cable tie or a band of velcro. Hth :)

I tried to make one and it was rubbish!....    I bought one from FLO for about £20 and well as working (e.g. it doesnt flop about and fits) it is likely to last for years. If you do try and make one, you can get the flocking from Wilko's. Check their website.  Tim.

As the nights are getting colder now and Dew is beginning to become a problem again I'm looking into getting d Dew shield. The problem is, which one do I need?

I've been looking on FLO but there's alot of them so of one of you nice people could point out the one I need I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have a skywatcher 200p

Hi geordie85 did you get sorted ?.  Living near the coast dew is an issue for me, I'm looking for a Dew Shield for my 200p Skyliner Dob, can't find anything off the shelf or a suitable black camping mat to have a go at making one. 

I've taken the advice of brantuk and been to go outdoors and bought a dark blue camping mat that I've flocked that I bought from wilko's. Haven't had any clear skies to test it out yet though.

As soon as I do I'll update this thread to let you know how it works

The 200P has a long OTA so should keep the dew off the primary, however a small extension improves the clarity and helps alleviate  the dew, if there is still dew forming, go back inside and try another night :mad:

The shield over the Telrad is from a clear fizzy drink bottle with both ends cut off and clipped to the Telrad.

Dew Shield

Maybe a bit obvious to others but why does a 200P need a dew shield?

Isn't the meter long tube in front of the mirror adaquate - they sort of come with their own dew shield built in. :confused: :confused: :confused:

On a refractor and an Mak/SCT I can see a shield in the form of foam tubing being useful but a why something that ends up as a 1.5 meter tube on a reflector ?

........I have experienced the dew, hence my shield, but for me I notice the contrast is better with a longer tube, vs. nearby street lighting,  when viewing from within my Dob tent?  But your right. Dobs normally don't need, especially solid tubes!

I mainly want one because I'm having problems with Dew on the secondary mirror.

Also had some spare foam to make one for my 300mm lens for wide field imaging too as the lens dews up extremely quickly.

Just hoping for clear skies now

I've taken the advice of brantuk and been to go outdoors and bought a dark blue camping mat that I've flocked that I bought from wilko's. Haven't had any clear skies to test it out yet though.

As soon as I do I'll update this thread to let you know how it works

Thanks, I'll try and find a dark coloured camping mat.

The 200P has a long OTA so should keep the dew off the primary, however a small extension improves the clarity and helps alleviate  the dew, if there is still dew forming, go back inside and try another night :mad:
The shield over the Telrad is from a clear fizzy drink bottle with both ends cut off and clipped to the Telrad.

Thanks  I'll try that for my Telrad.

Maybe a bit obvious to others but why does a 200P need a dew shield?

Isn't the meter long tube in front of the mirror adaquate - they sort of come with their own dew shield built in. :confused: :confused: :confused:

On a refractor and an Mak/SCT I can see a shield in the form of foam tubing being useful but a why something that ends up as a 1.5 meter tube on a reflector ?

I get a lot of dew issues mainly on the secondary, eventually every thing gets soaked, probably due to living by the coast

I made a large dew shield for my 130pds out of one of these recently. It's rigid but light and easy to cut with scissors. I still have a lot leftover. I actually use it more for a light shield but it does the job well.

Louise

Good Idea thanks will have to visit a garden centre.

I got some imaging time last night but unfortunately the clouds rolled in before it got too cold so couldn't really test my day Dew shield. Plus it was rather warm last night.

Hopefully I'll get my answer sooner rather than later.

I use a Celestron 130 slt. I managed to get a large black plastic plant pot and cut the base out of it. Then I scuffed the inside with fine sandpaper to take the shine off. It fits just nicely over the the end of my scope and seems to do the job well enough.

I have light blue camp mat. I just got the wilko flocking. Looks goo quality.

So i will be making one or two this week.

I might also get another roll of flock and line the tube (only one in store today have you all been at it !!!!! Lol)

The mirrors have never misted up. Even when at the end night, everything else is soaking wet. It works great. I also have one on my Telrad, it makes it awkward to use, so last time out I took it of and had to keep drying it. The secondary mirror was still clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived