Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun 30th June

Freddie

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave, unfortunately it is newt rings, I've just hidden them a bit by chopping off some of the image where they were more obvious!!!!  For some reason, the flats I took that day just didn't work properly.

Absolutely superb picture with lovely detail :) :) :)

However I do feel it is a little over-sharpened as there is a lot of ringing. I think you will find that if you backed off the sharpening until the ringing disappears you will still have the level of detail present as above but a lovely smooth fluffy Sun instead. The Sun is fluffy and doesn't have straight lines :) 

Alexandra

OK, it is very subtle but if you look here https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra4/8047917079/in/album-72157628535703357/ I have an example, it is in WL but the still the same principle. If you look at panel B, you may need to click on the image to zoom in, the granulation looks flat but detailed. In panel D I over sharpened and what you get is a a halo effect around the granulation so they appear sharp and very round and have lost their polygonal 'true' shape. This is caused as sharpening just increases the contrast of white against a black area, so if you go too far you see a very strong black/white border which is a halo/ringing effect. This removes the very subtle true detail of the shape. If you try it I am sure you will see much better 'true' detail show through. This is where the phase 'less is more' comes from in solar processing. I am sure that this image could be so much more and give the real 'wow' factor with ultra fine detail  :)

Alexandra

Archived