Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DEW SHIELED FOR 6" NEWT

Coco

Looking to make and save a bob or two on a dew shield for my VX6, the secondary is far to near to the end of the scope and I am looking to  make a dew shield/hood out of something light weight.

Any thoughts? links?

• 3 months later...

I used very thin foam mat from Hobbycraft and embruidery hoops to keep its shape.

Very cheap and a 10 minute job to make.

I have a newt and make my 1.5 x the diameter of the primary roughly. It does not need to be exact.

130p x 1.5 = 20cm(ish) long dew shield.

Simple

I used very thin foam mat from Hobbycraft and embruidery hoops to keep its shape.

Very cheap and a 10 minute job to make.

I have a newt and make my 1.5 x the diameter of the primary roughly. It does not need to be exact.

130p x 1.5 = 20cm(ish) long dew shield.

Simple

I tried this, the foam is very thin..

I have another problem... WIND!  my scope pokes out the obs (shed) too much, the winds playing havoc on the guiding especially with a dew shield. ..

Many manufacturers of Newts tend to make the main tubes too short, causing unwanted light to enter the eyepiece tube, and also having the adjusting screws on the main mirror cell poking out of the bottom. I made a light shield from a camping mat and it slides on the 8-incher like a glove. It adds an extra foot to the tube length without a weight penalty.

If we look through the eyepiece tube ( without an eyepiece ) at the very edge of the tube at the primary mirror side and can see daylight through the top of the main tube, we definitely need a tube extension. An added improvement I made was to stick a piece of flocking material onto the inside of the tube behind the flat.

Archived