Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First scope

Hi all,

Total noobie here I'm afraid and I'm going to ask a question I'm sure has come up time and time again.

I'm moving house in a couple of months, out of the city and into the Scottish borders where Id like to buy my first scope and have a look at what's above us. Id like one that could in the future turn its hand to basic astrophotography and DSOs would be the main objective, although lunar and planets would be a bonus too. I'm having a real hard time trying to figure out if a reflector or a retractor is the way to go as every bit of advice I read seems to contradict the next.

My budget is not huge so I'm looking at something along the lines on a Starwatcher Explorer 130 or 150,.. or a startravel or Evostar in the 102-120 range. Id also like whatever I get to be portable enough that I can walk it through a field or up a small hill to get away from the roads/towns.

Am I looking at the right kind of starter kit? any advice of what type of kit is best,.. or on specific models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, and welcome to SGL.

The new scope question comes up a lot, but don't worry we have all been there ;-)  Astrophotography (AP) means different requirements to plain visual observing. There are also no 'all rounder' scopes per se, so most people if they stick with the hobby end up with whole sets (don't think we have a collective description of a large set of scopes is....perhaps something along the lines of finance crippling...)  of scopes, all of which offer different views, or for different uses with AP. 

For taking images, the mount is the key component, and the heavier the better....so dragging one out to dark skies up hills etc might not suit your requirements.  Then there is powering it etc etc....so it does end up snowballing in terms of cost and weight. 

You can take really nice images through the Eyepiece of any scope using a phone camera (or using a digiscoping bracket)  / compact camera and that might suit you for a while. That is called Afocal imaging, and is really good on the lunar surface (just have a look in the forums).

Might be good to go along to a local astro club, where the members would be only to happy to explain their set-ups, and you get a feel for the size and weight of the equipment. I think setting your expectations would be good, so have a look at the 'What can I expect to see" thread sticky on the "getting started with observing' section....kind of puts it in perspective....

To be honest, I think perhaps a decent set of binoculars to look at stuff, and then if you already have a camera (such as a DSLR), then taking images of the night sky with that to start with...

Whichever route you choose, I wish you clear skies and good luck!

Regards

As in previous post, the mount is key to astro imaging. Many use the ED80 scope for imaging but it needs to be on a solid accurate mount that can track well and be guided. The Skywatcher heq5pro is good, but £750. You can get cheaper versions, but you'll probably end up upgrading. It is portable (if you take it to bits) but quite heavy. You could go with a visual only approach to start off and get a dobsonian. They are quick to set up and you'd use it even if you upgraded to an imaging setup later. Great for popping out for 15 mins when the sky clears. Without a permanent setup, an imaging system on an EQ mount with all the setup up needed takes me about 30 minutes just to be ready to go. Good luck with the move. You'll certainly have nice dark skies as long as they stay clear. I'm at hexham in Northumberland and would be happy to show you the kit I have and have a chat if you were ever in the area.

The question will be how portable does portable need to be.

A heritage 130p dobsonian mounted telescope is portable.

A dobsonian mounted 150mm or 200mm telescope, very often suggested, are not portable across a field and up a hill.

Take your time and visiting an astro club or proper astro shop is a really good idea to get a feel for size and weight.

Binnocculars are always useable I would not be without my 8x42s.

Perhaps have a look around the imaging sections to see what members have produced and look at what equipment they have used.

At the other end of the imaging scale is this thread which uses none equatorial mounts.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/?fromsearch=1

Though if you aspire to imaging then careful use of your budget and thoughts to what you might upgrade might help protect from spending money twice. For me I am happy just dabbling in a bit of visual and a bit of imaging using my camera and a home made mount for it.

Where abouts in the borders? I know that around Melrose is good for dark skys. A friend lives some were around there. Having to  carry heavy equipment, not so good if a long way. If in the garden and secluded,(safe) I'd go for a heavier mount. You can then put almost anything on it then.

Derek

In my opinion, binoculars are a must have item. They are great for learning your way around the sky and can be taken out at the drop of a hat for a few minutes viewing. Most people go for 10x50. I also have some 25x80 but these need to be mounted on my camera tripod. As to portable, there is a huge difference between carrying kit from a garage or house to a garden and carrying across fields etc. I only ever image at home. The thought of carrying a heavy mount, scope, CCD camera, power supply (heavy battery), laptop, counterweights ... You get the idea, is a non starter for me. I think most people visiting dark sky sites simply take gear out of the car and set up next to it. Even then I take the bare minimum of kit.

Archived