NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bresser Messier 6" Refractor arrived with broken focuser...

So, I got it as a deal from Amazon. I paid only £210 (like new item), but the scope came with a partially broken focuser - it's the bar that connects the knobs (Photo attached). Also, the finder scope came with half the plastic screws broken, which I'm not that concerned about really since I can replace them. 

Having talked to Amazon, they agreed to refund £45 and I could keep the scope. Frankly, the telescope is gorgeous and optics seem clean, and the build quality is decent. 

Never mind the accessories, apart from the finder scope...they are rubbish. Least to say, a plastic 1.25" diagonal..yikes!!! I'll give it to my daughter to play with once I bought a 2" diagonal. 

The focuser works fine, but at some point it'll break completely (maybe), so would like to replace it or at least fix it. I understand the Bresser focusers are a pain to replace. I sent an email to Bresser, but not expecting much. Any suggestions?

Do you think the deal I struck with Amazon was good? I mean, I ended up paying £165 only for the whole lot. 

Thanks!

post-27451-0-91465900-1433880365_thumb.j

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it the bar itself that's bent? From that photo it looks like the black bent thing could be a shaft coupler, e.g. something like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-6-35-x-8mm-Coupling-Rigid-Motor-Shaft-Coupling-Coupler-CNC-Coupler-Flexible-/351345355592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cdd0ab48

I think I can see an alan key hole in the 'black thing', if it were just a case of replacing that it'd be a lot cheaper than £45 to replace.  £165 is bargain too :)

if you release the tension on the focuser will the shaft push through and you can do away with the coupling and just put the knob straight on the end ? looks good though emad

Yes, it seems like a coupler. I think perhaps the bar was broken and Amazon connected it back using a coupler...since I don't see it in the original scope photos. It's starting to make sense now, Joseki.

Faulksy, yes..The scope is immaculate...at least at first look. I think connecting the knob straight on the end will cause it to jam against the focuser body. Will have a fiddle though :)

Imad you only need to turn it using one knob..... cut the other side off :laugh:  I have never used the left hand knob on any scope I have used. Are you left handed ?

Imad you only need to turn it using one knob..... cut the other side off :laugh: I have never used the left hand knob on any scope I have used. Are you left handed ?

Nah, I actually used the good knob on the right. But like the guys said I just a need new coupler and voila!!

I gave the scope a quick star test yesterday. You can imagine how that went without a mount ... I was literally carrying it like a bazooka. And, man...that scope is quite big, about 110cm long and weighs about 10kg. Glad that I could see stars through it, so yeah..optics are fine. No, it'll go into hiding until I collected the rest of the accessories..least of which is a decent collection of eyepieces or a Baader zoom. And of course...a mount. 

I was thinking Skytee, will it take this scope without any issues?  Bear in mind I'll probably need a high tripod, or otherwise I'll have to dig a  hole in order to look at the zenith. 

Thanks!

Imad

Nice to see you back in the game Emad - it's been a long while and not quite the same around here without your frequent posts and good humour!

I had a slightly earlier BM AR152S, which was also the petzval design.     Comfortably managed on the HEQ5 Pro for visual, though the Skytee would be much quicker and simpler for visual only.

At F5 there was noticeable coma with my 32mm 70deg, though my standard SW CC neatly corrected this.     I would say the CC would be essential for your wider field EPs.   Though the short focal length and aperture make this a lovely wide/richfield scope.     The only issue with mine was keeping the objective dew free with a relatively short dew shield, though I believe the later ones have longer shields.

Looking at the photo, I wouldn't mind betting that someone had cut/shortened the focuser shaft for a motor drive and then decided to sell.      Nice one from Simon having a spare too hand, but no problem to sleeve and join this if you wanted.

Good luck with the tripod and diagonal and look forward to reading the first light report.

Absolute bargain and hats off to sbooder for coming to the rescue. I loved my AR127L but it was a heavy scope compared to my EVO150 so I sold it on. I think you will have fun mounting the AR152 and this may be the reason why the focuser bar is the way it is. My guess is this was the only way they could attach an auto focuser as they must have assumed the knob doen't screw off and cut it off. Put it this way I would keep hold of the cut focuser bar for when you decide focusing vibrations are too much to bear ;)

Ironically it's been a crystal clear sky since I got it. Knock the wood! Perhaps this is going to break the tradition of new item = clouds.

You're right, Spaceboy. I have fiddled with it and can see the coupler is there for a reason..not a mere accident.

hi mate, glad to hear you have sorted it,it will be a cracking scope for planets ect i have the ar127l its great to be able to fine tune the lens cell when needed. i wish you luck with your new scope and clear skys. charl.

Hi Emad, nice to see you posting again and with a new scope :smiley:

I used to have a Meade AR6 refractor which was a 152mm F/8 so very similar in size and weight to your scope I reckon. I used it on a Skytee II mount and it was quite good. I needed a pillar extension to get the eyepiece to a decent height and I'd highly recommend unsing an upgraded dovetail clamp for that weight of scope. It is feasible though.

I agree with John that a pillar extension is a must if using on a standard size tripod. 2" CG5 tripods extend quite far and remain reasonable stable but a hardwood tripod would be far more desirable. Either tripod a pillar will reduce the risk of the diagonal hitting a tripod leg when pointing near or at zenith and certainly save you a heart attack if the OTA was ever to get away from you between ep changes which is not uncommon on AZ mounts.

Archived