Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thinking abour Cleaning and CenterDotting, Is it Worth the risk?

my friends Nexstar 114GT works ok, but i feel its off columated slightly. Also the Primary looks speckled with alot of dust, With this being such a "cheap" scope is it even worth taking out the primary , cleaning, and dotting it?

I do not have a laser Colomator nor a cheshire,  i just have a modified cap with a center hole drilled out.

Hi Gutross,

Unless your mirror has 3" of dust :---Follow these simple steps....

1. Make cup of tea.

2. Think about cleaning mirror.

3. If thirsty goto step 1.

If the scope cannot achieve sharp focus then do collimate it.

I will let it be then,  But i dont belive ive seen a corector lens in the draw tube, will have a better look later after i get home.  whats the best way to verify?

and yes i can see my face reflected back at me,

I will let it be then,  But i dont belive ive seen a corector lens in the draw tube, will have a better look later after i get home.  whats the best way to verify?

and yes i can see my face reflected back at me,

if the reflection is ugly, then clean it, if its ok let it be. i clean mine all the time :grin:

I've resisted cleaning my 10" for 6 years now (maybe it's over due and does look grubby) - but I keep getting 'new best views ever' out of it - eg great views of Saturn last night despite thin cloud and low altitude. I now feel guilty that I'm neglecting it from a maintenance perspective...

I've dust and a couple of dew drip spots on my 6 month old 15" mirror. To supress my inner urge to bath my new baby, I stuck my hand into the light path while viewing Jupiter and M57 - the spots don't bother me anymore from a performance point of view!

Archived