SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show Us Your Binoculars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A few more of mine that I don't think i've posted in this thread.

Another old Russian Komz 8x30..

spacer.png

Swift Trilyte 8x40.

spacer.png

Yashika 8x40.

spacer.png

Old Voightlander that a friend gave me free!, They're very nice for such an old binocular!

spacer.png

Bushnell Birding 10x42.

spacer.png

Pentax zoom bins..

spacer.png

(Swift) Audubon mk2 8.5x44.

spacer.png

A little Nikon 9x25..

spacer.png

Tecnar 10x50, When these arrived I couldn't look through them as the collimation was so bad!, I got fed up of seeing them in the house and was on my way to stick them in the bin and noticed that one of the objective bells was on really skewed!, Someone had removed it for some reason and cross threaded It! It took me ages to get it to start in the correct way but got it eventually and collimation came back ok!
spacer.png

Zeiss Dekarem 10x50 Q1, I found these local through facebook, They were only a tenner!!

spacer.png

Opticron Polarex 8x40.

spacer.png

Simmons 7x42.

spacer.png

Barr & Stroud 8x30.

spacer.png

Russian 7x50.

spacer.png

Military Kershaw bins with graticles, They have the broadarrow stamped on them, Left side is lovely and clear, Right side is full of specks of paint!

spacer.png

Cheapo Chinese low mag that needs very little focussing, I initially thought they were the focus free type but they're individual focus!

spacer.png

Tecnar 12x50, Love these, Plus, They have a really beautiful 'Olde worlde' smell to them!! 

spacer.png

Tasco 7-15x35 in very nice 'looked after' condition. I dislike zoom bins though and don't know why I buy them! ☺️

spacer.png

Dowling & Rowe focus free and Tasco, Both armoured.

spacer.png

Swallow 15x80 with the normal sized Nikon Monarch 8x42 in front for a size comparison.

spacer.png spacer.png

I have a few more but never got around to taking pics, Got a really nice Opticron 8x40 from a friend at 'Mates rates'!!

John 🙂

• Like 5

15 hours ago, johnbaz said:

A few more of mine that I don't think i've posted in this thread.

Another old Russian Komz 8x30..

spacer.png

Swift Trilyte 8x40.

spacer.png

Yashika 8x40.

spacer.png

Old Voightlander that a friend gave me free!, They're very nice for such an old binocular!

spacer.png

Bushnell Birding 10x42.

spacer.png

Pentax zoom bins..

spacer.png

(Swift) Audubon mk2 8.5x44.

spacer.png

A little Nikon 9x25..

spacer.png

Tecnar 10x50, When these arrived I couldn't look through them as the collimation was so bad!, I got fed up of seeing them in the house and was on my way to stick them in the bin and noticed that one of the objective bells was on really skewed!, Someone had removed it for some reason and cross threaded It! It took me ages to get it to start in the correct way but got it eventually and collimation came back ok!
spacer.png

Zeiss Dekarem 10x50 Q1, I found these local through facebook, They were only a tenner!!

spacer.png

Opticron Polarex 8x40.

spacer.png

Simmons 7x42.

spacer.png

Barr & Stroud 8x30.

spacer.png

Russian 7x50.

spacer.png

Military Kershaw bins with graticles, They have the broadarrow stamped on them, Left side is lovely and clear, Right side is full of specks of paint!

spacer.png

Cheapo Chinese low mag that needs very little focussing, I initially thought they were the focus free type but they're individual focus!

spacer.png

Tecnar 12x50, Love these, Plus, They have a really beautiful 'Olde worlde' smell to them!! 

spacer.png

Tasco 7-15x35 in very nice 'looked after' condition. I dislike zoom bins though and don't know why I buy them! ☺️

spacer.png

Dowling & Rowe focus free and Tasco, Both armoured.

spacer.png

Swallow 15x80 with the normal sized Nikon Monarch 8x42 in front for a size comparison.

spacer.png spacer.png

I have a few more but never got around to taking pics, Got a really nice Opticron 8x40 from a friend at 'Mates rates'!!

John 🙂

~

Have a wide-angle lens for a full family portrait?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, plyscope said:

Telescope Express have a special on the little 6x30 ED so I bought one to compare with the APM 6x30 that have had for a couple of years.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p15261_TS-Optics-6x30-ED-APO-Outdoor-Binoculars---Magnesium-Body.html

IMG_1502.JPG.556b4073c718d95568560df903881efc.JPGIMG_1504.JPG.7a79f97eb1efae77a0a493221d8395eb.JPGIMG_1506.JPG.c017df1152fc56a094cdadeeb33165e6.JPG

~

Same mfr?

What are your findings?

16 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

Same mfr?

What are your findings?

Yes I am confidant they are the same manufacturer. I like them both. The APM with centre focus is more versatile for general purpose use.  The TS is the better choice for marine use as it is more protected. Optically they seem almost the same. There is some more information in this link;

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/676116-apm-8x30-ed-and-6x30-porro-binoculars-prototypes/?p=9634993

Comparing them early this morning on star clusters and just general scanning the heavens, my first impression is that they are virtually the same with regards to optical performance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I started experimenting with binoculars with the Nikon AE line. The first model I purchased was the 7x50. I later aquired the 10x50 and the 8x40.

NikonFamily.thumb.jpg.e07122da4446a34ad49029ca5ec35d60.jpg

The 10x50 had a crack objective lens, so I returned it.

cracked.jpg.ac72c688d8c14b7c0adf19e1b2b595e4.jpg

These served me well, but I was interested in what I could get with more investment. At first, I considered higher end Nikons, but after reading multiple good reviews of Maven binoculars, I started considering buying a Maven B6 10x50. Then on Prime Day, there was a deal I could not refuse on the MB2 9x45. Shortly after I saw an MB6 12x50 for sale in the Classifieds on CN. Given Maven's lifetime transferable warranty, I was confident that I would be able to get them repaired if there was any issue, or sell them if I was not happy with them.

MB26.jpg.34022232045c5ab6de83bfaf7d3e1620.jpg

The MB2 is my favorite handheld binocular. It fits me perfectly. The MB6 I use mounted and it has become my sunspot spotter.

sunflare.thumb.jpg.03786eb3cfd0610bbf28158241c07841.jpg

I like the Mavens enough that my next binocular purchase will be an MB5 15x56. Though that will not be anytime soon as I have other astronomy priorities to purchase first.

Edited by PatientObserver
  • Like 5

On 18/02/2024 at 10:53, PatientObserver said:

I started experimenting with binoculars with the Nikon AE line. The first model I purchased was the 7x50. I later aquired the 10x50 and the 8x40.

What's your opinion of the 8x40s?  I'm thinking about getting a pair of 8xSomethings soon.

On 26/02/2024 at 10:05, jjohnson3803 said:

What's your opinion of the 8x40s?  I'm thinking about getting a pair of 8xSomethings soon.

It is my favorite of the Nikon AEs. This may mostly be due to the decrease in mass compared to the other two (though I also prefer the magnification). Also note that I am in Bortle 6 or 7 skies. It is a great buy for the price; especially if you buy them on sale like I did.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest family portrait of my somewhat reduced collection of binoculars. 

Left are the two Carl Zeiss Victory bins: 10x42 mm in the rear, 8x25 mm (donning Opticron objective caps) in front.

On the right we have the Helios LightQuest 16x80 mm in the rear and the Lunt 8x32 mm SUNoculars.

IMG_20240309_193006.thumb.jpg.aa753c5359ea25fe209b76ef45ac51ad.jpg

I note there has been a shift towards roof prisms, and quality rather than quantity.

• Like 1

Treated to myself to a birthday present and really looking forward to putting them through their paces. I had a quick 5 min go with a pair at a star party several years ago and found my mind drifting back to that experience so finally scratched the itch!

IMG_4737.thumb.jpeg.82de911a67a5167d3944b1f7caf0745c.jpeg

IMG_4741.thumb.jpeg.db163eea412b78fc6fc2fd05ff3a01c0.jpeg

• Like 8

On 14/03/2024 at 01:26, DirkSteele said:

Treated to myself to a birthday present and really looking forward to putting them through their paces. I had a quick 5 min go with a pair at a star party several years ago and found my mind drifting back to that experience so finally scratched the itch!

IMG_4737.thumb.jpeg.82de911a67a5167d3944b1f7caf0745c.jpeg

IMG_4741.thumb.jpeg.db163eea412b78fc6fc2fd05ff3a01c0.jpeg

~

Does this model have an on/off switch, or must the button be held down continually for stabilization? Some Canons did have the continuous pressure button, which seems a real encumbrance. My wife's 10x32s have the switch-type (two separate modes, actually).

I have 12x36 Canons where the switch has to be held down continuously.  However, despite having badly disabled hands I have no problem holding the button.  This is because my finger naturally falls into place on the button.

If I have no problem others shouldn't either.  So don't let this put you off buying such a model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nakedgun said:

~

Does this model have an on/off switch, or must the button be held down continually for stabilization? Some Canons did have the continuous pressure button, which seems a real encumbrance. My wife's 10x32s have the switch-type (two separate modes, actually).

Gentle tap and it stays on. Hard press and you keep depressed to keep IS operating. So both.

2 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

I have 12x36 Canons where the switch has to be held down continuously.  However, despite having badly disabled hands I have no problem holding the button.  This is because my finger naturally falls into place on the button.

If I have no problem others shouldn't either.  So don't let this put you off buying such a model.

Indeed, easy to use and doesn’t waste the battery.

• Like 1