Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Home Observatory UK

gnomus

The shed is complete.  I am awaiting a pier top in the mail (HO-UK brought the wrong one when they came to fit the pier).  I am travelling at present and only have some low quality iPad shots.  If folks are interested, I will post more when I get back.

post-39248-0-11087300-1439183113_thumb.j

post-39248-0-66675500-1439183073_thumb.j

Steve M

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will soon be ready to move my gear into the shed.  I need to think a little more about security.  I'm planning a shed alarm and possibly some cameras.  Does anyone have any recommendations as regards specific products?  Would anyone be willing to share with me some of the security measures that they have installed that work for them.  I would be happy for people to PM me if they don't want to post anything on a public forum.  I guarantee discretion.

Regards

Steve 

Yales various wireless self fit alarms are good value for money,they offer basic to mid range ones that will call you if the alarm is triggered. I have gone for a mixture of physical deterrent locks etc and tech but have a final type of permanent deterrent which you need to get a licence for[emoji56]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would anyone be willing to share with me some of the security measures that they have installed that work for them.

Regards

Steve 

We lost our greatest deterent the other month... 8 year old German Shepheard !

Security of an observatory is a personal thing.  If you make things too obvious by fitting visible large locks then to the casual chancer it screams out that something of value is contained in the "shed".  The thing is that you can fit all the locks you want on the door, but if they really want to get in it's a simple job to jimmy off the cladding and gain access that way.  Fitting PIR type sensors will help should someone get in this way, especially if it triggers 130+db alarms at the time.

Security of an observatory is a personal thing.  If you make things too obvious by fitting visible large locks then to the casual chancer it screams out that something of value is contained in the "shed".  The thing is that you can fit all the locks you want on the door, but if they really want to get in it's a simple job to jimmy off the cladding and gain access that way.  Fitting PIR type sensors will help should someone get in this way, especially if it triggers 130+db alarms at the time.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog.  We had to have our Labrador put down a few months back.  

I am acutely aware of the jimmying off the cladding issue.  I wondered if anyone had thought of installing an interior metal cage - a little like the thing Gene Hackman has in "The Conversation".

• 4 months later...

Hi Will

I am extremely happy with my Home Observatory 'shed' - it has exceeded expectations. First and foremost, of course, is the convenience of having an observatory, but since these are obvious I will not dwell on them.

As to the HO product itself.... I was expecting a glorified and slightly expensive shed. What they built was way more than I was anticipating. In my view, their observatories are underpriced. The folks themselves are a joy to deal with. If I have a niggle, then it is that my experience was that they were a little over-optimistic about their delivery and building schedules. There was some slippage on the date originally promised. I understand that they are reliant upon third parties for some items (my pier for example). On the other hand they told me it was a two day build and when you see what they put up I don't see any way it could be done in 2 days. It took 4 and a bit days to complete.

The structure has withstood all of the recent rain and wind with no evidence of any ingress of water.

I am also impressed with their after-sales service. A couple of months back I e-mailed Julie with a couple of minor queries. I anticipated that she would advise me how to fix these problems myself, but in fact the response was that Gareth and Nathan would be up within the fortnight to fix them.

The roof is very easy to manage, but I was caught out by light rain one one occasion. I was in the house watching TV and I had to get my shoes on, walk down to the shed, park the scope and roll the roof shut. Had I gone for the remote control roof I could have shut everything up from the house in a fraction of the time. As such, I decided that as the lads were coming up anyway, I would get them to fit the remote roof. This of course delayed the minor repairs whilst we waited for parts for the electric roof.

Other than that I am not sure I would change anything from the original spec. Having a reasonable size observing room (9x9) is nice. I wouldn't want to go much smaller. It might have been nice to have a slightly wider warm room (mine is only 4'), but then this would have to be offset against the extra cost and the roof would be heavier of course. I know one chap is having his HO observatory lined with (I think) the same T&G pine that they use for the outside. That would be the business, but I don't know how much extra this would be.

I would have no hesitation in recommending HO-UK. Do expect some slippage on the installation date, though.

Sounds like a top job, and it certainly looks the business. I'm very jealous indeed, especially after last night (where down here we had the first clear night in ages but a shower about 8 so it was just too much of a pain to shift scope, tools and imaging stuff out and then back again!)

How did you sort out your USB2/3 issues? I read your posts on them with a wry smile as I've always had exactly the same issues (I have a PGR Grasshopper which is USB3 only - most other equipment is happy with USB2, but anything other 3m I've found is no go for USB3) :/

Cheers

Will

Hi Will

I am extremely happy with my Home Observatory 'shed' - it has exceeded expectations. First and foremost, of course, is the convenience of having an observatory, but since these are obvious I will not dwell on them.

As to the HO product itself.... I was expecting a glorified and slightly expensive shed. What they built was way more than I was anticipating. In my view, their observatories are underpriced. The folks themselves are a joy to deal with. If I have a niggle, then it is that my experience was that they were a little over-optimistic about their delivery and building schedules. There was some slippage on the date originally promised. I understand that they are reliant upon third parties for some items (my pier for example). On the other hand they told me it was a two day build and when you see what they put up I don't see any way it could be done in 2 days. It took 4 and a bit days to complete.

The structure has withstood all of the recent rain and wind with no evidence of any ingress of water.

I am also impressed with their after-sales service. A couple of months back I e-mailed Julie with a couple of minor queries. I anticipated that she would advise me how to fix these problems myself, but in fact the response was that Gareth and Nathan would be up within the fortnight to fix them.

The roof is very easy to manage, but I was caught out by light rain one one occasion. I was in the house watching TV and I had to get my shoes on, walk down to the shed, park the scope and roll the roof shut. Had I gone for the remote control roof I could have shut everything up from the house in a fraction of the time. As such, I decided that as the lads were coming up anyway, I would get them to fit the remote roof. This of course delayed the minor repairs whilst we waited for parts for the electric roof.

Other than that I am not sure I would change anything from the original spec. Having a reasonable size observing room (9x9) is nice. I wouldn't want to go much smaller. It might have been nice to have a slightly wider warm room (mine is only 4'), but then this would have to be offset against the extra cost and the roof would be heavier of course. I know one chap is having his HO observatory lined with (I think) the same T&G pine that they use for the outside. That would be the business, but I don't know how much extra this would be.

I would have no hesitation in recommending HO-UK. Do expect some slippage on the installation date, though.

Nice summation and good to see some positive supplier feedback - looks a lovely job :-)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a top job, and it certainly looks the business. I'm very jealous indeed, especially after last night (where down here we had the first clear night in ages but a shower about 8 so it was just too much of a pain to shift scope, tools and imaging stuff out and then back again!)

How did you sort out your USB2/3 issues? I read your posts on them with a wry smile as I've always had exactly the same issues (I have a PGR Grasshopper which is USB3 only - most other equipment is happy with USB2, but anything other 3m I've found is no go for USB3) :/

Cheers

Will

I am reluctant to tell you how I solved the USB issue for fear of tempting fate!!!

I use two powered USB 3 hubs. One sits at the base of the pier and takes all the cables from the scope, cameras, etcetera. A 3m USB 3 cable then runs under the floor to the warm room where it plugs into the second USB 3 powered hub. Another USB cable comes from this to the computer. So far this has worked well with no issues. (No doubt it will all fail tonight!!!)

I think that fits within the parameters of USB3 (i.e. limiting the length of non-powered cable along which the data can travel) but I'll be completely honest - I've never actually found anyone or anything that can scientifically explain why it is limited (whether astrophotographers are particularly prone because of the volume data in transit from CCDs, why you can even buy a 5m USB3 cable if it doesn't work effectively, etc). Powering via hubs in transit definitely seems to be the way forward (obviously if I have cursed your setup by even suggesting this consider me thoroughly chastised!)

I think personally over the years I've come to live with the fact that in the world of astronomy/astrophotography hardware and software can be incredibly flakey at times!

One day I'll get around to building an observatory (your story - blog even[!] - is a big inspiration), my biggest problem is a lack of flat ground so whatever I build is going to have to be on a slope, probably even more than one storey high to get above a tree line :/

I am (at last) getting mine installed within the next two weeks. 

I completed my pier and base was last May for a September install but the date has slipped and slipped.  They are great guys to deal with though and I have seen Steve's (gnomus') installation and it looks superb.  So I have waited it out.  With the weather we have had of late I have hardly missed out on anything!

I will let you know how it goes guys.

Glad to hear that Steve.  They didn't say which Christmas did they!!!

You've missed nothing with this weather.

Steve

Indeed Steve!  I'll PM you and we can catch up again if you like?  Would love to see that MESU your treated yourself to ;) 

Indeed Steve!  I'll PM you and we can catch up again if you like?  Would love to see that MESU your treated yourself to ;)

Of course.  Any news on the TEC?

I actually managed to get some 6 hours of data on Friday night!!! 

Of course.  Any news on the TEC?

I actually managed to get some 6 hours of data on Friday night!!! 

Yes Steve - the TEC 140 I ordered beginning of October.  It should be ready "late Spring" Yuri said, so hopefully in time for galaxy season :)  Now, working with the Americans as I do for work, their seasons can run two months later than ours - so late Spring could be "our" July!

I've had the electric roof for a week or so now and I am really enjoying it.  On the last night of decent imaging, I set everything off and went off to bed for an hour or so.  When I woke up ~2am, I parked the scope via Team Viewer, clicked the remote to close the roof and toodled back off to bed.  Never even had to go downstairs.  

I do look with envy at those who have managed full automation - but I think this is a bit beyond my technical expertise for now.     

And a few months ago we upgraded our security 

bess1.jpg

Meet Bessie... she's a 4 year old GSD we re-homed from Battersea Dog and cats home back in September.  She's settling in well, and is proving to be every bit as good a deterrent as our last GSD

Steve, glad to hear you are enjoying your observatory.  I've not used mine much this season, mainly due to starting a new job that I'm that knackered now I don't have the enthusiasm on the odd clear night we get.

The shed is complete.  I am awaiting a pier top in the mail (HO-UK brought the wrong one when they came to fit the pier).  I am travelling at present and only have some low quality iPad shots.  If folks are interested, I will post more when I get back.

attachicon.gifobse.jpg

attachicon.gifobsd.jpg

Steve M

Hi Gnomus,

Really nice build, I am jealous! 

Can I just suggest one addition. Add some cross braces to the roof runner supports, at 45 degrees. Even if only a short one say 2-3 foot long to stop any racking. Wood can easily warp and if there is a sudden increase in the wind during an unattended imaging session the roof could act as a sail and force the supports over  out of alignment. Your roof may then not shut as and when you most need it too.

Looks really nice.

Derek

On 1/19/2016 at 17:05, gnomus said:

I've had the electric roof for a week or so now and I am really enjoying it.  On the last night of decent imaging, I set everything off and went off to bed for an hour or so.  When I woke up ~2am, I parked the scope via Team Viewer, clicked the remote to close the roof and toodled back off to bed.  Never even had to go downstairs.  

I do look with envy at those who have managed full automation - but I think this is a bit beyond my technical expertise for now.     

Mine being installed next week!  Yay!!!!!!!

Archived