Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Solar Image

Stargazer33

This is my first real go at imaging the Sun after buying a couple of solar filters for my C8 and Startravel 70 scopes.

I put the filter that I bought for my Startravel 70 onto my 500mm mirror camera lens and used my unmodified 1100D controlled with APT and EOS Utilities to capture the frames in RAW. These were then sized and ordered in PIPP, stacked in AS!2 with wavelets in RS6 and post processing (colourising) in PS7.

It's a bit over processed but I have a benchmark now to improve upon.

post-21511-0-84118300-1429741006.png

Looks lovely. You get the impression of surface granulation detail and the contrast of the sun spots in the background of the sun makes them really stand out. Nice. The detail/resolution/sharpness isn't as good when you zoom in, not sure why that is, hopefully someone else can say why so your next go is even better.

Well done!

James

Thanks for all the great comments! I think I could really get into imaging the Sun. No cold, damp, late nights. Imaging in shorts & a T-shirt; now there's an idea! :glasses9:

I've got some more footage of the Sun after the eclipse. It was clouded out here during the eclipse (just managed a seconds glimpse of it through a break in the clouds). As the equipment was set up I had a go in the afternoon, which was of course lovely and clear! When I get around to it I will post that too. I think the avi is better due to the poor weather in the morning.

Archived