Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2nd April H-Alpha Sketch & Report

Qualia

A huge prominence on the western limb greeted the morning. Over 90,000km in length it kind of looked like a tulip ready to flower or a poppy head waiting to seed. Further on up were fountains of jets and surges, whilst almost to the north a rush of plasma had taken on the appearance of a burning tree. AR 2305 has almost drifted from the face of the sun, but is clearly still active with its display of whorls and plage the colour of sand.

Here's the sketch from this morning. Gear used was a Lunt 60mm and 12.5mm B.G.Ortho. The sketch was made using black paper, coloured pencils and chalk:

post-21324-0-50867100-1428026807_thumb.j

Hey Rob.... dont you dare stop posting them, you have a talent and it should be encouraged :smiley: How many times have you posted sketches that look like photographs ? hundreds is the answer and they are a pleasure to look at......seriously.

I know I shouldn't keep posting these sketches up and boring you guys to tears........

I'm only in tears cos I can't get my sketches as accurate and pleasing to the eye as this.  I continue to trial & error my technique but not happy yet, this though is great Rob. Well done sir  :icon_salut:

I know I shouldn't keep posting these sketches up and boring you guys to tears, so I really do appreciate the thoughtful replies and kind support. Thank you :grin:

In panto style, "oh yes you should". I just received my Lunt LS50 Ha B600 from FLO on Friday.  I therefore refer to such personal contributions as yours to assist my personal development in, this case, all things solar observing. I have just passed my Coursera 'Intro to Astro' course and am reviewing the necessary lectures again but there is no substitute for having a look and a record of such. After all, particle physics and the P-P chain still beats the hell out of me so for now I will sit in the sun and just watch.

Archived