SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGLX Pod review

philj

I have to say the camping pod, (I managed, eventually, to get Pod 4) was great.

Clean, warm, comfortable and with plenty of room for me and my gear.

This one was a 4 berth, a double and 2 single beds which if fully occupied would be a bit of a scrum. Theres no cooking facilities, except a kettle, you have to bring your own and cook on the decking. Pod 3 was posher than my Pod 4 as it had a porch so cooking could be done there.

Each pod comes with a picnic table and benches outside and these were very handy for putting gear on and chatting with other folks in the sunshine.

Each pod has a oil filled electric heater which can belt it out, I had to turn mine right down at night to just ticking otherwise it got a little sauna like.

Theres a telly in each pod as well, with freeview which made checking the weather most handy.

These are a real convenience for staying for a couple of days as it took me 10 minutes to unload my gear and I was sitting outside with a cuppa in the sun in no time.

I suspect these will be most popular next year :grin:  :grin:

However Lucksall seem to be very protective of Pods 3 & 4. Perhaps it might be of benefit to formalise something with them next year on booking them.

I actually booked  a Pod through the FLO site not knowing where they were situated so was prepared to set up my gear on an EMS pitch in the main field and live in a Pod further away. So when I checked in and the young lady told me I had been allocated a Beach Hut I thought no more about it. This turned out to be in the middle of the main site with surrounding trees and lights/non astro campers.

Later investigations showed that Pod 4 was still empty. So I went back and asked if I could swap. Reluctantly and with quite a few unusual explanations as to why I was given the Hut whilst Pod 4 was still empty I was allowed to swap. I understand Rob in Pod 3 had a similar experience the day before.

I may be wrong but the reasons I was given gave me the impression they were reluctant to let these go to avoid getting them dirty. Pod 3 & 4 are in the grass area. The young lady at reception did highlight the fact that the Pod was carpeted  :grin:

Hopefully it will be back to a tent for me next time...

The pods are great  not so sure about the beach hut (the pink one) ...

It was in the middle of the "vans" and although you were just the other side of the hedge  from the washrooms you had a fair old walk to get to them and it would have been pretty useless for  viewing... to drive to and from it to the rally field you had to drive a spiral loop around the site...

Peter...

I paid a visit to Phil because he wanted some local knowledge. The Pod he was allocated was very nice and together with Rob next door is the best positioned Pods to the rally field. However, I did notice that the pitch facing onto the Wye had a van with a bright outside light which did appear to illuminate the Pods. I think Phil had a scope toilet tent which stopped some of the light but could have been a problem without it.

Yes Mark, the muggles in the van oppossite had the lights on inside with curtains ooen and their porch light on. My toilet tent was strategically placed so it didnt bother me much.

Daz, there was no bother, i enjoyed the negotiations with reception especially when they realised they ran out of excuses :-)

The pod was great, highly recommended, it,d be great if they built a couple more in the kingfisher area

Yep, same here :)  It was the best three nights sleep ive ever had at a star party. They get a bit cosy when there are six in there, but its a nifty little place for processing sessions - just draw the blinds and close the curtains - then you can see what youre doing.

I was asked by one of the staff what I thought while on the way out, and I could only say positive things. In fact, I suggested they get more - a couple on buzzard and kingfisher would be ideal (and darker!). I got hit by full beam a few times out the front, but thats why I brought the windbreak.

It also turned out there was a lot of stuff I didnt need to bring, but one thing I should have brought was a bottom sheet for the matress - but I managed with an opened out sleeping bag.

Nice one Phil

I was in one of the pods not far from the main entrance :laugh: My main reason for using one was having somewhere to stay so I could attend the Solar outreach event and to wander around and say hi to a few SGL members, the location was a bit out of the way to take my scopes to the main areas.

As for comfort etc..... it was great, the heater made it very warm and comfortable and a nice flat screen TV and a kettle were also included. I would recommend one anytime. I am too old to be lying in a damp tent :grin:

Here's the beach hut taken on the Thursday. I was due to stay until Sunday but had to return home Friday morning.

One of my most relaxing moments was sitting at the bench Thursday afternoon with a fresh cup of coffee. That kettle is so important!

It is a little small, but was nice and warm. The heater on low kept it comfortable all night. However, it is too far from the action and there was no practical way to have a scope on the main field from this distance. If they could put one one the main field for me... ;)

D3H_5141%201024_zpsm50u4c8q.jpg

Archived