SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Decisions....Decisions

Green Imp

Last post on this topic.....honest

LX90 or 8" Europa........decided to keep the reflector

Get a moonlite CR1...($400 + any import duty, plus make bigger hole in OTA, and drill holes for new mounting bracket)

Quite a project

However...

After browsing the Orion(UK) forum I came across the Orion(USA) accufocus.

Its a motorised focuser, available in the uk from SCS Astro for £42. (big difference) and fits to existing focuser.

I figure what I really want is hands free focussing (make toucamming much easier)

Good idea you think, anyone used one

I figue less risky, and if its no good, only £42 and bound to be sellable

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

GI - russ uses / has used one and recommends them (I think some others do to), and for what it's worth, I shall be getting one as well.

You can get a replacement crayford for way less (but the CR1 DOES look nice :lol: ) and you won't need to cut a bigger hole (I know, cos I changed mine!)

HTH :lol:

I'm not so sure Gaz, the LX90 / C8 when compared to a 8" Newt is a much more versatile scope. The long FL in standard form makes for excellent planetary imaging/viewing. With the Focal reducer it becomes a good scope for wide angle DSO's. Or if you goes along the line of the GPS8 that ROger has got then the Faststar F1.8 have got to be a great scope for imaging.

It does however have a disadvantage IMO - having a corrector plate means that if you location suffers with Dew then a SCT may not be the right eway to go. Last night Russ and I compared the ED100 and the C8 on Saturn - We were using the heated dew thingy's and even with that the C8 was fairly dewed up after about 15 minutes.

It's a very difficult thing to decide on.

ant

It's all about preparation and forward thinking with the SCT. A grab and go scope they are not.

Even coming from a cold garage, they still need to be out in the cold air for a good hour before observing. The dew heaters, to be most effective, need to be running at low for that hour too.

Then when you finally come out to observe the corrector will be clear and should remain clear. And the scope should be cooled.

If you keep on an SCT indoors, you can double the cooldown time too two hours before it performs at its best.

Planning is the key.

The Orion Accufocus btw is great, no make that brilliant, add on for a newt with the standard focuser.

Ant took mine and adapter it to fit a Crayford focuser. So he now has the holy grail of focusers - silky smooth, zero image shift and motorised

Russ

I can see where your coming from Gaz, I always think of reducing the effective FL with a focal reducer as much more effective then increasing it with a barlow.

I've found that (and I'm mainly talking imaging here) that the results when using a FR - larger FOV, less evidence of drive innacurcies etc. But with a Barlow it has the opposite effect.

I guess that this is just down to personal choice. I haven't really explained myself that well - but you should get the gist from my ramblings.

The electric focus on the crayford is blumming great - the adapter was easy to build, fantastic.

Ant

I get what youre saying Ant esp. with regard to imaging.

I guess my main problem with SCTs (I don't mind the cool down at all, I'm smart enough to know at 6pm that I might want to use my scope at 8pm :lol:) is that the written specs tell you it will make a good planetary scope when other parts of the design compromise planetary views, but then youre told its a good widefield DSO scope if you add a focal reducer.

Nobody seems to say a Newt is a great DSO scope thats good on planets if you add a Barlow.....

For visual work I don't see that a SCT with a focal reducer is a better alround scope than a Newt with a Barlow....its more portable but it's also more expensive....

Just my 2p......

GI - russ uses / has used one and recommends them (I think some others do to), and for what it's worth, I shall be getting one as well.

You can get a replacement crayford for way less (but the CR1 DOES look nice :lol: ) and you won't need to cut a bigger hole (I know, cos I changed mine!)

HTH :lol:

Unfortunately the hole is less than 2" (Europa has a 1.25" focuser) and the 2" focuser requires a hole for the draw tube of at least 2.25"

But the accufocus seems to get a thumbs up :lol:

So a-click-ordering I go :lol:

I can always add a crayford later and use the accufocus with it :?

I think before you decide on which bit of technology you want, you need to know what particular field of astronomy you are more interested in! If it's planetary, lunar and double star work then a refractor. If it's deep sky then a moderate reflector but remember the SCT's have a large central obstruction that can cause interference. Just a thought :lol: What ever you go for just enjoy.......paul t

hehehe not for me its not Martin , i have no probs with any of those that have been said ehehehehh , i must be special , got a heater band for my gps 8 works a treat , no dewing up at,all , cool down i ,just set the scope up right away then leave for a little while ,then start imaging , normally fine after 15 mins , as for obstuction ,i have a camera in front ,for the fast star and that does,nt cause me a prob , i suppose it depends if we are viewing or imaging ,

Cheers

Rog

The NS8 GPS has a kevlar tube rather than aluminium - I wonder if that helps. The new CPC is aluminium (presumably to cut down costs). S@N magazine review suggested that my make it more prone to thermal instability.

Martin

Think both scopes are good for diffrent reasons so enjoy what you have Ihave just bought a 12"Meade sct had the optics checked out around1/6 wave which are very good for a Meade

so last night tested it against the 5" Apo what happend next as i suspected the Meade just wouldn't and couldn't live with the Apo on the planets the Apo gave better images in regards to contrast and more detail the obstruction on the sct i suspect is the real difference but i am pleased with the performance of the sct but saying all that this was only on one night so probable a unfair comparison you would need to view under diffrent conditions wait for the next instalment in the near future. :lol:

Archived