Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Could industry do more to show customers realistic views ?

Highburymark

Apologies if this has been debated before, but do SGL members think that the astronomy industry could do more to show prospective customers what they can realistically expect to see through their products? Most manuals/websites say don't expect Hubble quality images from your new scope - but that goes without saying. what they don't do is give you an accurate impression of what - for example - a nebula will actually look like on a typical night. I've always researched equipment before buying, so I've always been happy with my scopes, but could beginners justifiably ask for clearer guidance before buying?

I don't think manufacturers can do that much really.

There are so many factors that influence the final result that are outside the control of the manufacturers of a particular piece of kit.

Yes, beginners could justifiably ask for more realistic representations of what to expect from the equipment. However, advertising has never been a medium for downplaying expectations. Can you imagine a top of range car manufacturer saying that the performance of their hottest sports car is a waste of time as you are restricted to 70mph and forget the 0 - 60mph figures because only a professional sports driver will get anywhere near that and then only on a test track?. No I thought not!    :smiley: 

I think a lot of people who get their first scope start off with the easier targets - the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and some of the brighter DSOs. By the time they've seen the first 3 and been blown away, they forget what the box showed them! That certainly happened with me and my 4.5" Tasco reflector back in the early 90s.

By the time you've done a bit of reading, which nowadays with great resources like SGL is so easy, I think expectations get managed quite well. The eyepiece sketches that people so kindly share on this forum really good a give impression of what to expect.

Paul

In most companies the advertising dept. is on another planet to the actual production company, I've worked for some companies with national TV advertising and chocked on my cuppa at some of the BS they came out with..

On the other hand the picture of M42 on my Canon 60Da box is really bad, you could easily take a better one with it.

Dave

One of the most effective usages of commercial propaganda is the art of framing. Framing is achieved in the way the product is packaged or advertised. For example, a car isn't actually advertised as 'freedom' or an orange as 'vitality' but the way the product is framed will hopefully make some infer (subconsciously?) that given message. In like manner, some astronomy gear is packaged or advertised along with Hubble images but it is the buyer who makes the assumed inference.

I feel this is a moral concern and one that won't be addressed by the market per se. In light of this, what is essential is dissemination of information that is open to the public, open to debate and free to all, so that the potential buyer can make a well-informed decision.

In this light, I feel SGL is an excellent public service and goes a long way in helping and informing others :grin:    

Apologies if this has been debated before, but do SGL members think that the astronomy industry could do more to show prospective customers what they can realistically expect to see through their products? Most manuals/websites say don't expect Hubble quality images from your new scope - but that goes without saying. what they don't do is give you an accurate impression of what - for example - a nebula will actually look like on a typical night. I've always researched equipment before buying, so I've always been happy with my scopes, but could beginners justifiably ask for clearer guidance before buying?

In a single word "Yes". 

The images we all see on a lot of telescope packaging is not what we see through the scope.

Its false advertising, which is illegal.

My undersanding is that Highburymark was referring to the instruction manuals for scopes rather than the packaging ?.

I agree that some of the packaging illustrations are misleading. Interestingly, once you move slightly away from the lower cost / introductory type instruments the packaging usually reverts to plain cardboard boxes with simple carriage instructions on them.

My comment earlier in the thread refers to instruction manuals and how difficult it would be to produce illustrations of what an observer might see when viewing particular objects because of the range of external factors that influence what can be seen, including the level of experience of the observer.

Also, if the scope is used in central London, the view of, say, the Orion Nebula, would be massively different from that which the same scope could show from a dark sky site somewhere rural.

In this light, I feel SGL is an excellent public service and goes a long way in helping and informing others :grin:

I decided to buy a telescope after stumbling out of a pub in Allihies in deepest wild west Cork years ago and looking up. Several of you even here on this thread influenced me to choose a 10" dob for my 1st ever scope.

Thanks ;)

SGL is a wonderful site.

Archived