Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 20/02 from Bembridge (First Run)

SnakeyJ

Another first run of the night, but conditions seemed to tail off slightly afterwards despite getting a nice star test from the scope.

Quick RGB process and derotation taken at 3600mm focal length:

post-26731-0-53870800-1424481529.png

Nice detail here, but can probably reduce the noise a little further and make the stacks a little smaller to improve quality.

That's a lovely capture Jake, one of the best ive seen from you maybe. At your focal length the image looks massive, is this a 1.5x

Thanks Neil, from a very quick look it was clearly the best. I cheated the scale with a 1.5x drizzle, then another 33% upscale after processing in IA.

I did two quick runs, then used metaguide to tweak collimation and star test. Only a slight tweak of one bolt, but I had the most convincing in focus airy disk I've ever managed!

Sadly the seeing was already dipping off :-( though nice to know I can do this.

Here's a reprocess from last night, with a slightly smaller stack size (60% rather than 70% of 2500/channel), I've also rejected a few over exposed and frames with some vertical FPN that I had on red and green channels.   The process uses a softer manual wavelets, rather than the linked method I usually employ, which reduces noise (particularly on the blue channel).   Think I'm splitting hairs here, but anyway here's the original vs reworked images.

post-26731-0-90066600-1424563239.png   post-26731-0-52844400-1424563286.png

Open to comments, I think I've probably lost some detail but got a smoother process.   My normal process is to used linked gaussian in R6, pushing wavelet 1 to the max and then increasing the denoise until it looks ok in the zoom window at 4x.   I then repeat the same with wavelet 2.    I have tinkered with Dyadic, but never managed to find a pleasing balance.

I'll post the raw stacks if anyone fancies a play!

Some cracking images Jake, lots of lovely detail. 

Sadly no time to give your challenge a go, a hard disc full of images from tonight is going to keep my processor busy for a few days.

Robin

At least someone got the seeing tonight - I shot two runs and then gave up as the seeing was pretty dire down this way, despite fabulous transparency!    Look forward to seeing your results :) 

A cracking brace of images there Jake. Great detail and colour on these.

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks Stuart and Simon - two cracking processes there.   Stuart's is super smooth and lovely colour balance and Simon's eeks unbelievable amounts of detail from the equatorial bands and poles.    No winners here (except me), but it is incredible how different the three results are from the same stacked data.   Shame that blue channel wasn't a bit better, but definitely my best ever set on Jupiter

Archived