Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Short Notice Meet

daiwelly

I'm a bit confused with regard this short notice thread. Is it to choose a new venue different to Blaenavon, or just somewhere where individuals intend to go at short notice with an 'invite' for others.

Sorry if I have missed something guys, I just find it a bit fragmented and hard to follow. :confused:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit confused with regard this short notice thread. Is it to choose a new venue different to Blaenavon, or just somewhere where individuals intend to go at short notice with an 'invite' for others.

Sorry if I have missed something guys, I just find it a bit fragmented and hard to follow. :confused:

Hi freff yes your second was the intended idea. and a short trip, baring in mind if its midweek it should be within easy traveling distance because of people working we do miss a lot of opportunities to get out as a group. and we should try and get out at every opportunity. even if its for only a couple of hours

Ok...so Blaenavon is still the 'official' site for monthly get together and/or short call made by Mike.

Usually the short notice is called for a Friday or Sunday if the weather is more satisfactory than the Saturday.

The short call this thread refers to then, is a call someone suggests at any time and anywhere they feel is a good opportunity.  

Does this make sense, and I got it right. :grin:

Mike (Faulksey) has used Llys y Fran numerous times - he would probably be the guy to ask and let us know but that would definitely be a Saturday only jaunt for me we are talking a two and a half hour drive I would guess as your heading up into the Elan Valley so you would want a pretty good forecast to be sure and probably a few of you going together - its pretty remote up there for the car to break down.

Tony - this thread does seem to be going everywhere doesn't it. As far as I'm aware Bleanavon is still our official site - perhaps we could start another thread for an alternative, either a mid week close to home site as David suggets or a once a season site like Lys Y Fran or an alternative to Blaenavon. 

I've been searching on and off for a while and to get somewhere thats safe, darker than Blaenavon, accomodates a number of people and on a hard standing is some task :0)

It was never intended to replace the Blaenavon site it was meant for a short notice session and fairly close. bearing in mind we do miss a lot of observability evenings and also members working

it was meant to help fill a gap. (and safety in numbers)

and it is always nice to get up Blaenavon. also when the site opens end of March i will offer short notice sessions there too in Brecon free. (not camping)

also it was also intended to identify darks sites. so we have a choice for short notice session not official meets.

Got a cracking place I want to try about 12miles north of Llandovery (Llyn Brianne dam), but that will be in the warmer weather and I am more landscape/ astrophotography than anything, not sure how to put co ordinates on here for Talybont. Hoping to go out tonight I may pop over Blaenavon but would have thought there be a lot of light pollution for what I,m after

Got a cracking place I want to try about 12miles north of Llandovery (Llyn Brianne dam), but that will be in the warmer weather and I am more landscape/ astrophotography than anything, not sure how to put co ordinates on here for Talybont. Hoping to go out tonight I may pop over Blaenavon but would have thought there be a lot of light pollution for what I,m after

I know where you mean above the village of Rhandirnyn there is caravan and camping site there believe it or not  I was looking at this place this morning 52°07.277'N, 3°45.821'W

Mike (Faulksey) has used Llys y Fran numerous times - he would probably be the guy to ask and let us know but that would definitely be a Saturday only jaunt for me we are talking a two and a half hour drive I would guess as your heading up into the Elan Valley so you would want a pretty good forecast to be sure and probably a few of you going together - its pretty remote up there for the car to break down.

Tony - this thread does seem to be going everywhere doesn't it. As far as I'm aware Bleanavon is still our official site - perhaps we could start another thread for an alternative, either a mid week close to home site as David suggets or a once a season site like Lys Y Fran or an alternative to Blaenavon. 

I've been searching on and off for a while and to get somewhere thats safe, darker than Blaenavon, accomodates a number of people and on a hard standing is some task :0)

Steve - as far as I'm aware the Blaenavon site is still the official meeting site. I would hate for that to change, not so much the site but the event. I enjoy meeting up with the group and doing a bit of observing. (new to me) 

A short notice event is a great idea. But for me, if I'm honest about it, is any clear night  I get to do any astro photography (favourite) I will use my observatory. I could not justify travelling for hours to some far off site at the drop of a hat, my observatory would never get used.  

I really like the idea of a 'special' event  such as a session at Llys y Fran for example, where we could meet as a group instead of Blaenavon.

hi guys/steve. never went there in the end steve. tried tregaron,dolgoch youth hostel area and its black. but claerwen resevoir was the best. myself, steve (swampthing) were hoping to head there tomorrow but things went wrong. these are the areas we hold dobfest and in the past and not to distant future we will head back. that will be me steve,calv,dan k and bybthe looks of it bigmakstu. our intention was usk is it good there or is claerwen better ?. any good places to camp usk way. no accommodation needed just a bit of flat grass and some were for some big dobs mine being the smallest . cheers all

mike

It was never intended to replace the Blaenavon site it was meant for a short notice session and fairly close. bearing in mind we do miss a lot of observability evenings and also members working

it was meant to help fill a gap. (and safety in numbers)

and it is always nice to get up Blaenavon. also when the site opens end of March i will offer short notice sessions there too in Brecon free. (not camping)

also it was also intended to identify darks sites. so we have a choice for short notice session.

I could not put it any clearer it was never intended to replace the official meeting place.

hi guys/steve. never went there in the end steve. tried tregaron,dolgoch youth hostel area and its black. but claerwen resevoir was the best. myself, steve (swampthing) were hoping to head there tomorrow but things went wrong. these are the areas we hold dobfest and in the past and not to distant future we will head back. that will be me steve,calv,dan k and bybthe looks of it bigmakstu. our intention was usk is it good there or is claerwen better ?. any good places to camp usk way. no accommodation needed just a bit of flat grass and some were for some big dobs mine being the smallest . cheers all

mike

Claerwen - thats the one Sorry Mike got a bit confused and I have been there in the day myself lol

Still got a month or two left before I pack up - perhaps a Sat session at Clarewen is still on the cards- but like I said it has to be a Friday or Saturday for me - its looking pretty clear here tonight so far but the tops of the trees are blowing a bit so probably won't make Blaenavon this evening - fingers crossed I'll get another chance later in the week.

Whilst we're on the subject of Usk Reservoir -  on the side where the boats are launched there seems to be a street light on the corner- is this off in the evenings at its now part of the dark sky reserve or do people observe on the other side of the reservoir- whats the through traffic like also?. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Steve - as far as I'm aware the Blaenavon site is still the official meeting site. I would hate for that to change, not so much the site but the event. I enjoy meeting up with the group and doing a bit of observing. (new to me) 

A short notice event is a great idea. But for me, if I'm honest about it, is any clear night  I get to do any astro photography (favourite) I will use my observatory. I could not justify travelling for hours to some far off site at the drop of a hat, my observatory would never get used.  

I really like the idea of a 'special' event  such as a session at Llys y Fran for example, where we could meet as a group instead of Blaenavon.

Hi Tony - perhaps things are getting a little confused - not attempting to suggest we use anything other than Blaenavon which is a pretty great place for group meets- just looking about for somewhere else perhaps for an occasional trek lol

Looks like 13 mph winds at Blaenavon tonight but forecast crystal clear here at home- perhaps an hour or two with the flask and annoying neighbors is on after all.

Claerwen - thats the one Sorry Mike got a bit confused and I have been there in the day myself lol

Still got a month or two left before I pack up - perhaps a Sat session at Clarewen is still on the cards- but like I said it has to be a Friday or Saturday for me - its looking pretty clear here tonight so far but the tops of the trees are blowing a bit so probably won't make Blaenavon this evening - fingers crossed I'll get another chance later in the week.

Whilst we're on the subject of Usk Reservoir -  on the side where the boats are launched there seems to be a street light on the corner- is this off in the evenings at its now part of the dark sky reserve or do people observe on the other side of the reservoir- whats the through traffic like also?. Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

no problem steve :grin: . i would be interested to hear about the usk as well. i think the south end looks like you would get better views to the south, and less chance of being disturbed .

Hi Tony - perhaps things are getting a little confused - not attempting to suggest we use anything other than Blaenavon which is a pretty great place for group meets- just looking about for somewhere else perhaps for an occasional trek lol

Looks like 13 mph winds at Blaenavon tonight but forecast crystal clear here at home- perhaps an hour or two with the flask and annoying neighbors is on after all.

No I'm clear on that now Steve, Dai confirmed I was thinking down the right track.

And yes I totally agree on an occasional trek to one of the others sites, that would be something to look forward to.   

The light is the kiosk where you used to get your licence from, its still on but its pretty dim tbh, behind that then is the bailiffs house which is occupied but there are tall pine trees in front of it so you dont see any light from there, you can go past there further up to the bay it just depends which way the wind is blowing

Cheers Paul - wished I'd sorted this a bit earlier but will have to do with the garden tonight - might make a trip to Usk Reservoir just to get my barings one weekend. I go through Trecastle on the way to our caravan in Newquay fairly regularly and the road looks a pretty straight one from the pub there = worth a go the skies North of Brecon are a couple of notches up from home for sure and I need all the help I can get   :0)

The road can be dodgy in places theres always water on the road leaky pipes etc and in this weather it freezes so just be aware of it. Theres another execelent viewpoint at the back of it, basically if you stay on the road instead of turning off the woods open up into moorland and theres a large laybye there,  

Although there are darker locations in South Wales, I think the folks who established the South Wales Group did an admiral job in locating the Blaenavon site; it has a lot going in its favour. Its not hard to find, is located within an hour's drive of most South Wales observers, away from the big city lights, has a large paved level parking area which can accommodate about 20 cars and telescopes, a 360* panoramic view, easy access, and far enough from the main road so headlights are not an issue. All in all, it's a great location to consider as our Group's home observing site. As I see it, having an established observing site  (where ever it happens to be ?)  gives this Group roots, and a place to grow.

Edit: What are your thoughts ? 

Although there are darker locations in South Wales, I think the folks who established the South Wales Group did an admiral job in locating the Blaenavon site; it has a lot going in its favour. Its not hard to find, is located within an hour's drive of most South Wales observers, away from the big city lights, has a large paved level parking area which can accommodate about 20 cars and telescopes, a 360* panoramic view, easy access, and far enough from the main road so headlights are not an issue. All in all, it's a great location to consider as our Group's home observing site. As I see it, having an established observing site  (where ever it happens to be ?)  gives this Group roots, and a place to grow.

Edit: What are your thoughts ? 

sorry to butt in. weres the darkest skys in wales then, any ideas. thanks

Archived