Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Short Notice Meet

daiwelly

So much for bbc weather.had a great 2 hours out the back garden,was a pleasure to get out in the frost again.

I had a great evening too, also tried to take some photo's of the Orion nebula and the running man, not very successfully i might add using a Nikon compact camera. then the fog came in but an enjoyable evening.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thx David - what do you think the traffic flow would be like in this spot ? Followed it trhrough on street view and know exactly where you are now - can't help feeling it would be annoying.

To be honest I think if I was going to make the effort to go up there I'd rather spend another half an hour travelling and get North of Brecon - I still haven't tried USK reservoir yet and I know of a spot in Epynt thats the darkest place I've observed from so hopefully next week while the moon is still away and the pressure is rising I'll get an expedition arranged mid week

I dont think it will be that bad to be honest yes there will be traffic, but Brecon or even Usk reservoir I would hardly call that a short notice meeting point, I will go up there this evening and do a car count over an hour.

What would you call a short notice meeting point?

there is another place very little traffic use the road that pass through very close by thinking about it

It was bad i counted 42 cars passing through clearly to many, however at another location i will call Howells farm in a secluded spot there was 0 vehs this is fairly close to the other location on Gelligaer common its on a back Rd to Deri Mill.

I guess it might be short notice to you from Fochriw Dave but it would be slow going for me up Heol Adam and probably only half an hpur or so shorter in time. I kinda thought the traffic might not be so good there for our purposes

Good stake out by the way . I'll see if I can find the Deri Mill location sounds a bit more promising

Today I heard that there's an article in the Rhondda Leader newspaper about a star party to be held near the Heads of the Valleys, at a car park

on top of the Rhigos  ( A4061 ) road.

Edit: I'll post an update when I find out more information.

Ok, the article was in the todays Rhondda Leader page 38, and briefly described Rhigos Mountain as being one of six spots in the Rhondda Cynon Taff region which are optimal for Astronomy; the others being, Maerdy Mountain, Bwlch Mountain, Barry Sidings (Trehafod), Dare Valley County Park and Llanwonno. 

Personally, I'd rather spend my petrol money heading toward Brecon .

The newspaper article appeared to be an add for joining " Dark Sky Wales " - Education Services .

Edit: The star party mentioned took place last Tuesday.

I saw the site on the rhigos on another web site mike it looks fine but as you say I would rather head north of Brecon if I'm going that far anyway.still searching for the elusive secluded hard standing I'm sure we'll get there eventually.there is a great place on the epynt mountain that I've highlighted before but there is a narrow rd running past it which although sparsely used would get the occasional car then there's the issue with possible army manoeuvres up there. Like I said the hunt continues.

Mike have to say the same thing happened with the coordinates for the langorse site as well lol.thought I'd found a good spot on the way to Usk reservoir but when moving from satellite view to street view there seems to be trees everywhere. Very odd never mind still trying but looks like now the moon is out of the equation next week the inevitable clouds roll back in,more time for Internet research then.

Steve, the coordinates I posted were those given by Google Earth, not sure what's happening :icon_scratch:  

I've noticed that some of the current information on Google Earth does not reflect that of the past, elevations are an example.

The elevation of my house has supposedly increased by 70 feet since I last checked for submitting a planning application several years ago. 

Llys-y-Fran reservoir looks good, but all the info' pages say that the park is only open from 8am until dusk. Does anyone know if permission can be obtained for late night or overnight stays?.

I didn't notice a gate on the road to the parking area on the other side of the dam, will have to take a closer look on street view.

Llys y Fran is already used by a number of astronomers on this site and is well regarded.not heard anyone with this issue.went there myself last year for a drive in the day.not sure where the problem would be unless you are thinking of the area beneath the damn where there's a car park and toilet.on the damn rd itself there's no through traffic though the views to be side are obscured.it is certainly in prime observing country though for sure.

Presently, it also looks favourable for Wednesday.  Sure would like to get out for a short notice session myself, but unfortunately I'll be working long days this week.

We have demolition and removal underway to remodel our future home, so travel and late nights are a no-go for me until the weekend.  :sad:  

Archived