Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Short Notice Meet

daiwelly

Although there are darker locations in South Wales, I think the folks who established the South Wales Group did an admiral job in locating the Blaenavon site; it has a lot going in its favour. Its not hard to find, is located within an hour's drive of most South Wales observers, away from the big city lights, has a large paved level parking area which can accommodate about 20 cars and telescopes, a 360* panoramic view, easy access, and far enough from the main road so headlights are not an issue. All in all, it's a great location to consider as our Group's home observing site. As I see it, having an established observing site  (where ever it happens to be ?)  gives this Group roots, and a place to grow.

Edit: What are your thoughts ? 

Absolutely Mike - no argument from me - just looking out for alternatives for the odd trek really - perhaps as I mentioned earlier it should be on a seperate thread.

Blaenavon is our main group observing site and Pencelli the Autumn Star camp - sounds a pretty good combination together with Mrs L's bread pudding :0) 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry to butt in. weres the darkest skys in wales then, any ideas. thanks

I'm not sure where you would go much darker than Claerwen Mike. Personally apart from the Company - I wouldn't be travelling from North Wlaes down to our part of the world looking for a better observing spot when your travelling through Mid Wales which is probably one of the best observing areas in the UK let alone Wales.

I'm not sure where you would go much darker than Claerwen Mike. Personally apart from the Company - I wouldn't be travelling from North Wlaes down to our part of the world looking for a better observing spot when your travelling through Mid Wales which is probably one of the best observing areas in the UK let alone Wales.

that will do me steve. thanks mate. we should all meet up at the next dobfest

sorry to butt in. weres the darkest skys in wales then, any ideas. thanks

No problem, your comments are welcome here.  :smiley:  I'm not sure where the boundry lines are between North and West Wales, but the darkest sky I've experienced was about 10 miles east of LLanybydder.  I'm all for finding darker sites, and continue to search for them myself. If a better place exists for a group meet, I'm all for it.  

Absolutely Mike - no argument from me - just looking out for alternatives for the odd trek really - perhaps as I mentioned earlier it should be on a seperate thread.

Blaenavon is our main group observing site and Pencelli the Autumn Star camp - sounds a pretty good combination together with Mrs L's bread pudding :0) 

No arguments from me either Steve, I'm always thinking about possible new sites,  would be happy to find a darker location closer to home for sure, lol.  :cool:

I've been looking at Claerwen on Google Earth and am itching for a road trip there. :icon_bounce:

I dont want to be a messenger of doom but they pretty strict up there the rangers, I,m not sure how astronomy would fair but when I used to go up there fishing there was no overnight parking and they didnt like cars there after dark, whether this was just for fishing I dont know maybe they had trouble with poaching and camping etc

I've been looking at Claerwen on Google Earth and am itching for a road trip there. :icon_bounce:

I went at the Base of the dam,there's a solid carpark there. Darkest place I have ever been to. Couldn't tell if my eyes were open or closed [emoji1] every star looked like Jupiter

That's a nice size car park below the dam. The small building with  green painted windows next to it looks like a toilet facility, which would be a good thing.

there is toilets and all you can hear at night is the pump house lovely :grin:

Still on my list of places to observe from, would have to be a weekend job for me though. Mike from what I remember there's a small house aswel in the shadow of the damn, not sure if that would be an issue at all either light or staying late at the car park.again from what I recall the better views would possibly be from the top of the damn but you wouldn't get a 360 view and if the wardens are not keen for people staying late perhaps the car park by the toilets is the place to set up.

Still on my list of places to observe from, would have to be a weekend job for me though. Mike from what I remember there's a small house aswel in the shadow of the damn, not sure if that would be an issue at all either light or staying late at the car park.again from what I recall the better views would possibly be from the top of the damn but you wouldn't get a 360 view and if the wardens are not keen for people staying late perhaps the car park by the toilets is the place to set up.

the light from the house steve is very dim, must only have candles or gas lights there.top of the dam might be better like you say

I have a feeling that the wardens, if any, would see that we are a more highly advanced species as compared to elements from the primordial soup which they would be concerned about. :wink:

i would like to think that as well. after all we love the open space and wouldnt want to trash it like other would :smiley:

I was looking last year at an alternative to Pencelli caravan site for my wife and I to use in the Summer/Autumn months.  

I had in mind somewhere darker than Pencelli and looked at the area nearer to the Elan Valley.

During my brief search for somewhere I came across Wyeside Camping and Caravan site near Rhayadar  52°18'17.39N,  3°30'54.14W and was going to visit there in the spring. for a recce.

I don't think it would be what most are looking for, but if like me you want to get away to somewhere really dark for a weekend or more, this might be useful. I'll pass on any info I get.

I have a feeling that the wardens, if any, would see that we are a more highly advanced species as compared to elements from the primordial soup which they would be concerned about. :wink:

I love the Welsh poetics you still retain Mike. :grin:

I was looking last year at an alternative to Pencelli caravan site for my wife and I to use in the Summer/Autumn months.  

I had in mind somewhere darker than Pencelli and looked at the area nearer to the Elan Valley.

During my brief search for somewhere I came across Wyeside Camping and Caravan site near Rhayadar  52°18'17.39N,  3°30'54.14W and was going to visit there in the spring. for a recce.

I don't think it would be what most are looking for, but if like me you want to get away to somewhere really dark for a weekend or more, this might be useful. I'll pass on any info I get.

Looking on google earth the proximity to the built up area, the street lights and the static caravans can only lead to light pollution.

I appreciate that Dai, and was not advocating doing astronomy from the site.

My intentions were to use the site as a base from which to visit local interests,  and do any astronomy from the many dark areas in the Valley.

Archived