Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Short Notice Meet

daiwelly

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back in and got the bins out for 5 minutes,David shame if you didn't make it tonight the seeing looks excellent.as soon as I walked into the garden I thought wow what a missed opportunity.never mind hopefully have another chance later this week.

Looking at the forecast I think we might have all missed our chance last night for the time being as the weather gets milder but with rain heading in later in the week - guess thats the thing with astronomy in S Wales you can't wait until tommorrow. 

Speak for yourself, I was out (backyard) all evening :) - wish I'd gone up the mountain actually, but I'd had a couple of beers at dinner.

Tested out the 5mm Pentax XW in the Tal which performed better than hoped for on Jupiter and the trapezium while they were still over rooftops. Certainly a usable magnification in the Tal. Couldn't see E or F stars in the trapezium though. Never seen these two. Found M108 and the Owl Nebula in the Tal, and even M51 but it was very f a i n t. Think I'll stick to the dobs for galaxies.

I managed to get out for a couple of hours as we'll. The skies in the CF72 area we're crisp and clear all evening. Managed to master the drift alignment method using the new cross aim eyepiece (much easier than I thought it would be). It makes such a difference to the images I was able to capture, frustratingly the battery on the DSLR dies after only 8 x 60 second subs (forgot to charge beforehand). So I packed up feeling pretty frustrated but nevertheless I can't wait to get out there again as son as the skies clear again. Not looking too promising this week though ATM...

James

Although I did have a few tinnies last night HIC !

I did manage to get up at 4am and haul the dob out into the backyard the sky were stunningly clear. I do wish I had gone up the mountain as I had planned oh well Aberbran is just around the corner.

BBC showing cloud here from about 7ish which is gutting as it's crystal clear at the moment. Gonna wait until 9pm then if there's a window going to head outside for an hour or so,was looking around Taurus last night which is right above my house in the south and looked stunning. What's the chances.

Hmmm nice to see a short notice meet posted even if is difficult. Trouble is I've just come from over that way from work. What site do you use Dai. Still as it's not going to take place now. Then like others I'll settle for the back yard tonight.

Hi Mr Frodo Coming from Fochriw it the first Bedlinog turn there is a parking area by there. I hope you are all making the most of the superb views again tonight. but tonight its the backyard I wont go up the mountain without company need to think about personal safety

well, clear all day and all night so far for me. Lovely out there. Got an early start tomorrow, so calling it a night.

Bagged M41 and M50 over the rooftops today. Takes me to 34 messiers since I got back into astronomy at the end of November. Must get back up the mountain (or elsewhere) to get better horizons!

Archived