Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st ever attempt (don't laugh now)

Well folks here it is, 1st ever attempt at taking a photo of the stars,

DSC_0050.jpg

Stupid telephone wire got in the way :o(

So that's it. Next question what am I doing wrong?

Followed instructions given on a video on youtube ISO 3200, Aperture 5.6 (did say 2.8 but camera does not go down that far) and 30" Exposure.

Camera was a Nikon D3100 with 18 - 55mm lens.

All advice gratefully received :0)

Cheeers.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not doing much wrong.  Lots of stars showing.  Personally I'd reduce the ISO to 400 or 800.  Trial and error.  Short exposures to reduce star trails, then stack them in Deep Sky Stacker.

nice pictures

it's always good to use raw or raw + jpeg (don't know if nikon has this option).

in what focal length you took the pictures? give a try with 18mm and about 20 or 25s exposures. Iso 3200 is a bit too high because of light pollution and noise, i always stick to 800 and sometimes go up to 1600.

you're on the right track, keep them coming :)

Have downloaded deep sky stacker, but to be honest once I open it I don't have a clue how it works or what to do.

Is there a help section anywhere?

Wait a minute, hold that result, I have found the help section at the bottom of the menu list, silly me :embarrassed:

Just pop in to see how its coming along ,  That bad LP but as put a good LPF will help, As you was down to only 5" in your last pic try Iso 1600 next and see if you can get up to around 5 secs

as you are not tracking in any way its going to be hard to hold a good Star .

Looks like we are going to have clear skies again tonight so will give it another go :smiley:  :grin:

When you say stack what exactly do you mean? Do I take a few photos of the same bit of sky and then use "deep sky stacker" to stack them on top of one and other, is that how it works? Sorry for all the questions but I am a complete newbie to all this and do appreciate all the advice you are giving.

Archived