Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello!!!

urisk

Been bangin' on about getting a telescope for years and now have finally done it (a modest Skywatcher Explorer 150p). Getting to grips with the ol' controls in the back garden tonight with all the challenges that can present in suburbia. Looked at the Orion Neb...Wow...and Pleiades. I couldn't find that bloomin' comet though or be sure that it actually was Mercury I was looking at...but hey...what's the rush Lol!!!

Hi Urisk and welcome to the forum. To help you identify objects that you discover along the way or even to find out where some great objects are located, you might want to consider downloading some free planetarium software called Stellarium. It has lots of great features to help you practice finding objects when the clouds come in and it can easily calibrated to match your exact viewing location producing an identical sky to that which you can see when you're outside. It's very popular among many observers here and is real easy to use.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi Mark and welcome to SGL, James has given you some good advice, but you might also like to invest in a copy of "Turn Left at Orion" probably the most popular book for those starting out that has been written, enjoy :)

I'd done a little searching and downloaded Stellarium to my notebook and had ordered a copy of 'Turn left at Orion' the same day I ordered my scope, it's reassuring to know I was heading roughly in the right direction... Just need to now be able to do the same with the telescope it's self

Archived