NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where is Lovejoy?

jason.p

Found it tonight in my skywatcher 130, daughter got it in her own mercury 705. Lovely sight in both. Daughter mildly impressed with finding her first comet but quickly went off trying to find more messiers! Astro=Imp, looked the same to me, greenish blob with bright centre, but much bigger than I thought. Still, not as comet like as one I remember watching through binos back in the nineties. Was still at school so pre 1995 which rules out hale-bopp and hayakutake. Swift tuttel perhaps?

Anyways, Lovejoy is still worth hunting out!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out an hour or so ago and picked it up in the bins., it seemed considerably fainter than last night but that might have been because there was a slight unnoticed cloud covering as I now have nearly 100% cloud cover.

Good luck Daz.

Due to the work, spare time and weather gods I finally saw it for the first time last night. 

Green fuzzy blob in the other halfs SW 130P with 25mm eyepiece (bigger but less bright green blob with a BST12mm) but no tail seen.

Went out with my Dad on Friday night (16th) it was just to say visible with the naked eye and we could only see a smudge through a Megrez 90 until the clouds rolled in but we both travelled back home happy that we seen it. 

Rob.

Just been looking at it again and it's definitely naked eye now (as is M31). If anything it seems bigger and brighter and the blue colour seems more obvious. I think it looks better through the 8x42 bins. What a beautiful sight!

Archived