Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

jason.p

Where is Lovejoy?

It looks like we might have a clear sky tomorrow and I would very much like to find Lovejoy before it disappears. Can someone give me an "idiots guide" as to where to look tomorrow night.

Thanks

I'd also be keen to try to find Lovejoy, how long is it visible? Think we've got cloudy skies for another week or so here.

I located it a few days ago with Sky Safari (free version) on my Android mobile - couldn't see it in Stellarium Mobile.....

It should be to the right of Orion, towards Aldebaran and the Hyades (it passes below and to the right of those I think). Assuming clear skies it's pretty obvious as a bright-centred misty patch in 9×50 finder or bins. Good hunting.

Edit/ bunnygod has it!

Edited by ghostdance
  • Like 2

Unless I am looking at something different, this one is at the moment 'Turn Right at Orion' as per Pete above.

You can add comets and meteors plugin to stellarium. This is how we have been finding it.

Edited by happy-kat

Both me and my wife found it with binoculars about 8:15 cloudy and snowing now in Leeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done to you both, i also showed it to my wife. Still clear in Bedffordshire for the moment.

Edited by bunnygod1

Really struggling with this. All set up and cloud and rain came in. Had about 20mins. Despite instructions couldn't find it. Just set up again, clear sky now. Just going out again. Probably snowing now!!

Really struggling with this. All set up and cloud and rain came in. Had about 20mins. Despite instructions couldn't find it. Just set up again, clear sky now. Just going out again. Probably snowing now!!

Have you got any binoculars?

Might have known. 100% cloud cover now!

No love or joy so far!!

(I've just got my 8x42s)

Edited by jason.p

Might have known. 100% cloud cover now!

No love or joy so far!!

(I've just got my 8x42s)

Thats exactly what happened a couple of nights ago when i last saw Lovejoy

Have any of you comet chasers had any joy tonight?

Yes !

I am amazed, NEye at last !!

Earlier this evening it was quite an easy sweep-up in my 10x50 between bits of cloud.

I usually try to find it that way before (if desperate !) resorting to Stellarium, my kind of way of checking how bright/easy it is.

Then, just now, I went out to see what the sky was like and was surprised to find a really superb sparklingly clear sky in the south with a little haze in the west.

Again with the 10x50 checked out Lovejoy and did a tour of the usual bino objects in the region. I had no plan, didnt expect such a sky after the Wx we have had recently.

Enough time to become dark-adapted and when I went back to Lj., , ,  yes, really really surprised that without the bino and a bit of averted vision there it was !!!

What a difference getting that pesky moon out of the way makes :)

It helps not having any street lights near me as well.

Sorry for rambling - just had to tell someone ! :)

Edited by Ptarmigan
  • Like 2

Second viewing of this lovely little iceball, below and to the west of Hyades tonight. Easy spot in 9×50 RACI, looked lovely in the scope but too faint for my Vixen SG 2.1s....or my skies are just not dark enough for a near-naked eye hit :)

Hi Ptarmigan

Great news!

Same here, a bit further west than you - the sky cleared around 9, surprisingly good seeing (despite a couple of showers and occasional low cloud).

Comet was higher, further south & west than I'd realised. Really good view in 15x70 binos. almost like a smoky globular cluster at higher powers. Green tinge to it, almost nebulae like, wonderful. If the clouds don't stay away, I look forward to seeing again in 8000 years.

Dark skies to you!

• Like 1

I look forward to seeing again in 8000 years.

I like that, optimism :) lol.

Yeah, me too, I think I am immortal, , , well so far so good ;)  lol.

Thanks for the report.

Yes, big fuzzy ball in 10x50, I couldnt get any colour though,

I wonder what the sky is like now, a second look, longer dark adapt, who knowws >> whoosh > > >

Edit,

Grrr, its gorn down behind my trees :( if it aint the moon its summat else !!

Edited by Ptarmigan
  • Like 3