Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue, Planetary Filter.

alan potts

Dammit...I didn't tick the box Alan! However I think I qualified for a slight discount on VAT (Vision Absolutely Terrible) so hopefully the account may clear by the time the filter arrives.... ;)

Thanks for the heads-up, and the good wishes :)

Well done and good luck with the filter, please report on how you find it when you do get to use. Since I initially used mine, I have not had the opportunity since, last time I got to look at Jupiter it was just too cold and I had got too tired (and the view was fabulous enough without anyhow).  look forward to a second time though. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerry,

I am not speaking from firsthand knowledge so I wouldn't take too much notice of me. If I could get my hands on one easily I would probably give it a try but as I can't, well , one day maybe. I have the 18 inch coming in a week or so so I have bigger fish to fry though after going out the other night and nearly dying at minus 10 it may not get used for a while. How you go outside in minus 30 I will never know, you Canadians must be made of stronger stuff than me.

I think its a matter of we're here and the cold is here.... -31c this morning, but a nice bright day out. I do have an interest in filters Alan and I just ordered the Baader Neo and a Lumicon ND 50% to try. My very best Jupiter views are at twilight with the polarizer and for a bit at dark without. We'll see how they work, I really like light, high cloud as my filter but... My Beloptic UV/IR filter helps, only because of the total light it cuts I think.

Your 18" will be an amazing scope for you, can't wait for reports.

Just recieved a refund from Telescope House (thanks guys) as Planetary out of stock. Sigh...too slow on the trigger! So, did it go to a quicker-witted SGLer? Would like to read your thoughts on it if so.

I'll add to my shopping list for later in the year :)

I'm sorry to hear that, that's bad luck, they must have just had the one then. It is still a filter i have not seen secondhand so people must keep them. So far I have just bought the one filter which is a bit different to my photography days when I dozens of the things and they were all Lee which are very expensive for fancy plastic.

I have the Astronomiks Olll 2 inch and I bought that secondhand, they are all fairly pricey new if you are are going for the premium marques.

Alan

Thanks Alan :) But at least your heads up has confirmed my intention to get one at some point!

My wallet, I have to say, is looking mighty pleased with itself....I may threaten to complete my TV Plossl set - that should wipe the smile off its little leather mug :D

......My wallet, I have to say, is looking mighty pleased with itself....I may threaten to complete my TV Plossl set - that should wipe the smile off its little leather mug :D

I've just picked up a nice used 25mm TV plossl to complete my set of these, well all but the 40mm and the 2" 55mm anyway. I've added a 2.5x Powermate to them to get a very comprehesive but lightweight set of quality glass :smiley:

I've just picked up a nice used 25mm TV plossl to complete my set of these, well all but the 40mm and the 2" 55mm anyway. I've added a 2.5x Powermate to them to get a very comprehesive but lightweight set of quality glass :smiley:

Very nice, John :)

I have only (only!) the 20 & 25 to go to complete my 1.25" set.

As you say, lightweight but quality. I wouldn't be without them.

I wonder how the old volcano top (or smooth sided?) TVPs are in comparison to the new shape? I'll have to go googling!

....I wonder how the old volcano top (or smooth sided?) TVPs are in comparison to the new shape? I'll have to go googling!

The first 1.25" eyepieces I ever bought were some of the "smooth side" TV plossls. For a while I owned a mixed set of the older and newer designs but I could not tell any difference in their performance.

Some folks swear that the older ones were better and some the other way around. To me they seem the same :smiley:

Nice one John. I really like my Ortho and Plossl set, and use them a lot, bookended with a 24 Pan, a nag zoom and a x2.5 PM, all bases covered in a tiny case

I managed to try this filter out on Jupiter last night in the 120ED.

Conditions were ok, not brilliant but I would say average seeing and quite poor transparency.

I used both the Nag Zoom and the Leica/x2.5 PM to check different options.

I was not able to observe for that long, packing up around 11pm so Jupiter was still only around 30 to 35 degrees altitude at the time, making atmospheric effects worse.

So, whilst I would not say that I experienced the 'bubble gum pink' halo mentioned by some, there were definitely things going on which weren't all good.

On the positive side, I would say that contrast was considerably enhanced, and some subtle features were enhanced. I would not translate that into saying that the filter made things visible which otherwise would not have been, but it certainly increased the contrast.

Overall it put what I would describe as a pinky brown tint over the planet. This was not unpleasant, if anything it more closely matched the imaged views than my more normal fairly monochrome visual views.

The main negative point for me was a form of Chromatic Aberration which I assume was atmospheric in origin but enhanced by the filter. It showed as a blue fringe on the leading western limb and red on the eastern limb. It was strong at times, and worse when the seeing was bad. When the focus was spot on and atmosphere stable it was reduced but still there.

Before giving a definitive view, I would want to try this with Jupiter at higher altitude and under better seeing conditions. The view was basically nice but I did not like the CA effect. Overall I think on last nights performance I prefer the view without, but I do think it may have a role in picking out subtle features and transits so being able to add and remove it from the optical path easily with a filter switch would be useful, something I am considering for OIII/UHC use anyway.

Stu

Stu,

Yes with objects like Jupiter, Venus Mars and Saturn you can get this atmostpheric aberation I believe it is called which can sometimes be very bad. I have seen it on Jupiter so bad that it was almost like half the planet was blue and the other half red, this was with a scope that has excellent optics using a Delos 4.5mm eyepiece with a Televue diagonal. The planet was only 12 -15 degrees high but it really looked awful. I have seen the same effect on all the others I mention.

Have faith but at the height you say Jupiter was I would have thought AtAb had gone.

Alan

Stu,

Yes with objects like Jupiter, Venus Mars and Saturn you can get this atmostpheric aberation I believe it is called which can sometimes be very bad. I have seen it on Jupiter so bad that it was almost like half the planet was blue and the other half red, this was with a scope that has excellent optics using a Delos 4.5mm eyepiece with a Televue diagonal. The planet was only 12 -15 degrees high but it really looked awful. I have seen the same effect on all the others I mention.

Have faith but at the height you say Jupiter was I would have thought AtAb had gone.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I think that's the point, without the filter at around 30 degrees as you suggest there was very little atmospheric aberration. With the filter it was much more pronounced, as you might expect down at 5 or 10 degrees. The image itself seemed unaffected but the colour was there quite strongly.

As said, I will try it at higher altitudes and see if this effect lessens or disappears

I've just acquired this filter slide off Astroboot quite cheaply which will give me a chance to play around with 1.25" filter comparisons more easily.

6a7a5be3db96a74241ffff39fe516fbf.jpg

f3df77abcd1e1977186373d5929c4eaf.jpg

I have the TV Planetary, Mars, and a polarising filter to switch between.

Will update when I've had a chance to use it.

Stu

Don't you use up some focuser movement with one of those in the drawtube ?

Yes, you do John but I've (hopefully!) got enough infocus available to make it work.

The dob uses an extension tube anyway so room to spare on that one too.

I would try and rig up some anti dew measures. Looks useful though.

Yes, I'd thought of that Shane. Something like this, but in plastic of some sort....

Will try it out to see how I get on with it before spending too much time on it.

41f118f25930e6bdbd922d2c30d048e9.jpg

da48d26a6b691047a14daa4fa8d966ed.jpg

cb2a3cf8c888cd39f4812257bb703b18.jpg

I was just looking through and reading the thread with interest, it suddenly came to me if these took 2 inch filters and you loaded up with Lumicon and Astronomik filters :rolleyes:  you could blow almost a 1000 quid, takes a deep breath, Ahhhhhhhhhh :eek:

Archived